Weighing Bullets

RockyMtnMT;1304446If you want a bullet that is always the same and put your mind at ease taking the bullet uniformity needs out of your loading equation. Try ours. I already sorted them for you. Steve[/QUOTE said:
I really like your confidence. The only two I weighed I weighed after they were recovered from deer. Both weighed the same. Does that count?:D

Well i just finished sorting.a 100 140 gr.6.5mm berger VLDs by weight and bearing length.

Weight varied from 139.94 to 140.02. There were 7 bullets i culled and they all weighed 138.88.

Now i sorted for.bearing length with the sinclair bullet sorting stand. They were all between 0.079 and 0.080. No culls. I call that good.

This is the first time i have sorted brass by weight and checked neck thickness and uniformity. Weighed bullets and measured bearing surface. My findings have reinforced my decision to use lapua brass and berger bullets.

Next step the whidden pointing die. I will practice on my 7 culls.

Going to try match kings and lapua bullets next

Getting ready for.my 6.5 creedmoor i am building.

To me, this is one of those things that if it makes you feel your ammo is more accurate/consistent and it makes you more confident as a shooter, then do it. It is your time and you can spend it as you wish.

Personally, I believe your wind call will have more error than the bullet will have. If the extra work makes your groups 0.1" less at 100 yds, the that equates to 1" at 1000 yds. This gives you an extra inch at 1000 yds margin of error. If your wind call would have gotten you within 5" of your point of aim without the extra time/effort, your POI will now theoretically be 4" from your point of aim. If your wind call is bad, you will still be off. I think your are better off spending more time shooting and learning to read the wind better rather than more time in the reloading room.

My 2 cents fwiw,

To me, this is one of those things that if it makes you feel your ammo is more accurate/consistent and it makes you more confident as a shooter, then do it. It is your time and you can spend it as you wish.

Personally, I believe your wind call will have more error than the bullet will have. If the extra work makes your groups 0.1" less at 100 yds, the that equates to 1" at 1000 yds. This gives you an extra inch at 1000 yds margin of error. If your wind call would have gotten you within 5" of your point of aim without the extra time/effort, your POI will now theoretically be 4" from your point of aim. If your wind call is bad, you will still be off. I think your are better off spending more time shooting and learning to read the wind better rather than more time in the reloading room.

My 2 cents fwiw,

Well i really enjoy reloading and experimenting with new ideas. When they work its great and when they don't.... well either way i learned something

I enjoy the reloading just as much as the shooting...

Like i enjoy building ARs and Savages. I know i can buy a rifle that probably will shoot much better than my homemade gun. BTDT. Much more satisfaction for me from Do it yourself

Like hiring a guide for hunting and fishing. Where is the challenge in that.

Waste of time....one little puff of air affects every bullet far more than a grain of weight and no animals chest cavity will ever notice the difference... I never worry about these things in a hunting rifle, your shooting at a basketball or larger and group size doesn't matter beans. Now if your PPC,ing or br-sing for group that's another story but not a hunting rifle !

As a LR shooter...always trying to find an improvement in accuracy...... I started weighing bullets on my A&D FX-120 digital scale...... sorting them in .02 grain increments.That way in ammo boxes have matched sets of bullets...... It does make a difference.....
Yes I to weigh bullets. I find light ones fall above the water line and heavy fall below.All bulleys are the same size, ogive, powder etc.