weighing bullets

All I can say is Rich M. was explaining that at the PA open last year and also talking about how they control the weight with varying the lead core cuts by weighing bullets every so many rounds.

As for the cause being buying seconds. Not hardly and only an idiot would buy comp bullets in an opened box at a gun show. I was buying directly from Midway and others and they were unopened boxes. I quit buying Sierras for that reason 3-4 years ago and went to Clinch Rivers and BIBs for comp.

I was running them on Stoney points and the Buhay ogive checker so I know exactly what they were measuring.

Now if anyone doubts that is a problem go to David Tubbs website and see what tool he is selling. (Buhay ogive checker) Wanna guess what brand bullets he normally shot? Guess he was buying culls at the gun show too.

I am quite sure Sierra does not want to talk about it but enough shooters were sure running into problems with them.

BH

I also bought my new unopened sealed in plastic wrap box of 500 bullets from Midway so I know first hand that they weren't seconds or from a gunshow.
Wayne aka WAMBO

a little off the subject but was wondering if anyone knows if the same lead is used for match kings and hunting bullets? i heard once the match bullets used a softer lead but can't remember the source.anybody know for sure?

BartB, since jackets are slightly tapered on the inside, how does "about 3/8" inside the jacket" provide a repeatable basis for comparison?

[ QUOTE ]
BartB, since jackets are slightly tapered on the inside, how does "about 3/8" inside the jacket" provide a repeatable basis for comparison?

[/ QUOTE ]There was a fixed flange about 3/8ths of an inch back from the ball's maximum diameter point. Jacket mouths stopped at that point so the same place back from the mouth on all the jackets would be measured. As long as that flange stayed at the same place relative to the ball, the same point on the jacket would be measured. The exact distance didn't matter; .375, .362, or exactly one centimeter (0.039369458748681123131919182375081-inch); repeatability was very good indeed.

[ QUOTE ]
... was wondering if anyone knows if the same lead is used for match kings and hunting bullets?

[/ QUOTE ]Sierra used to use pure lead in their match bullet cores. Hunting bullets had lead alloy cores with 6%/4% antimony/tin, 6%, 3% or 1.5% antimony depending on the best combination of accuracy and expansion required. They're probably still using the same stuff.

Bart -- Buhay is a friend of mine, and you can call him if you like...

My experience, 142SMK's, 500ct boxes, one from Brunos, one from Lock/Stock/Barrel

2-3years ago: broke down into 2 large groups separate by several 0.001's 0.595BS, and 0.601 IIRC

last years box sorted much better and ALL hovered on either side of 0.600

well over 400 of the 500 fell between .599 and .601

SOMETHING CHANGED....don't care what they "say"

At least it changed for the better...

JB

[ QUOTE ]
Bart -- Buhay is a friend of mine, and you can call him if you like...

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks, but I finally found Buhay's info on a web site.

Question; are the measurements made from bore diameter datum points at both ends of the bullet? Seems to me that's the best way as it's betwen those two points the rifling engraves the bullet down to. And a .001-inch or so difference between the different bore diameters for a given caliber won't matter much.

I'm gonna have to measure some of my Sierra standards and see what their spread is.

Bart

David Tubb gets the ogive checker he sells from John Buhay in PA and then markets it under his name. Go to page 19 of the RW Hart catalog and you will see it there listed for $125. David also gets the metplat trimmer he sells with his name on it from Dave Tooley.

He is like a lot of other guys that sell things in "their name" as it has market value but actually buy them from the guys that invented/market the items to them wholesale.

Nothing wrong with that. Works for both parties.

Just about any shooter who was using Sierras and measuring and tracking ogives will tell you that something changed a little over a year ago. we went from 2-3 distinct groups down to one. Before we had wide variances on ogive and OALs which was insignificent if you seat off the ogive, but was another clear indicator of different dies.

BH

[ QUOTE ]
... we had wide variances on ogive and OALs which was insignificent if you seat off the ogive, but was another clear indicator of different dies.

[/ QUOTE ]I think the only way to verify two or more pointing dies were used for one lot number of bullets is to use an optical comparator to compare ogive shapes.

It's possible that only one die was used, but how far the cored jacket was pushed into it to form the ogive would also determine how far a datum on the base would be from a datum on the ogive. If the machine didn't uniformly ram the cored jacket into the pointing die and stopped different distances away from some reference, the boattail to ogive datum points would easily differ in distance by virtually the same difference in where the ram stopped pushing the cored jacket.

Like full-length sizing a bottleneck case; the more you push it (case or cored jacket) into the die the more the angled part (shoulder or bullet ogive) gets set back. We measure both between a back and front reference and see a difference between case/bullet A, B, C, and so on down the lot of them.

This is getting to be a very interesting thread. I emailed Tubb's site asking what reference diameter is used on their bearing surface comparators. I'll post their answers so all can see.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.