weatherby?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by sniperboy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. sniperboy

sniperboy Well-Known Member

Hi to all

Can anyone give me their views on the weatherby vanguard sub moa varmint rifle? Is it accurate and what i really want to know is, is the action a good enough to be placed on a custom built rifle. Do gun smiths like working on those actions?

Thanks
    sniperboy

2. goose316

goose316 Well-Known Member

i am toying with the same thing. i have a vanguard varmint in 223 with the b&c stock. it shoots great but curious as to the smiths info on it.

3. drbobc

drbobc Well-Known Member

well I am a weatherby addict but Mark V and not vanguard. If it were me I would not have a custom rifle made with a vanguard action. I would choose a remington over a vanguard and I am not crazy about remingtons.

you can get a mark V 22-250 from impactguns a quite a reasonable price. I have tried to put the image and price here (here goes)

WEATHERBY MKV SUPER VARMINT MASTER 22-250

[​IMG]
    Price: $1,433.99
    I am impressed it works. If 22-250 does not float your boat, get it re-chambered for the 22-250 Ackley Improved (shoot cost about 100 dollars). You would shoot 22-250 ammo in he rifle and when the cartridge is ejected, it will be the 22-250 AI. Easy to get dies and then reload your own. The above rifle is in fact very well made and uses a Krieger barrel as I recall and 26 inch.

bob chronister

4. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

The wby vanguard is made by Howa in Japan and is an excellent action I have built many customs on. I have several customs I built for myself on those actions and in my opinion are far superior to the Remington 700 because of the closer tolerances it is cut to and is just a slicker better action all around. Several companies make triggers far them. Easily available aftermarket add ons are why the remmys are so popular, but better actions are out there.