Weatherby vanguard or Browning X-Bolt?

Gunner26

This will be a new rifle for me. In 308 but I'm trying to decide what one. I have narrowed it down. Either a Weatherby vanguard range certified. Or the Browning X-Bolt Medallion. They are about the same price. Both are new in box. Browning has a 22 inch barrel. The Weatherby is 24. Mostly a hunting/target shooting. I have access to a range of about 500 yard for target. Hunting deer under 300 yards. As I said just on the fence not sure what one. What I read about them are good things. That's what makes it difficult. Any help be greatly appreciated thanks.

I would go with the Browning, far better quality. I've "owned" a vanguard 2 and my "personal opinion" the vanguard is talked up way more than they should be. I also own an Browning A Bolt and it shoots 1/4 to 3/8 inch groups @ 100yards all day long. gun)

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. Elmer Keith

Gunner, to me the tie breaker would be which has a beddable non plastic stock.

Gunner, to me the tie breaker would be which has a beddable non plastic stock.
All Browning rifles are bedded from the factory...Atleast, the A-Bolt II's are, that I know of.

I suggest finding you an A-Bolt II over an X-Bolt, and would suggest he X-Bolt over the Vanguard.

And if you're wanting something you can easily customize later on....I'd go with the Remington 700.

But that's just my opinion.

Part 1: who owns Browning, if a US company. Skip to part 2.
I prefer made in the US next.

Part 2: wood or composite over plastic.

So..

If the are both US owned, neither is made in the US, both have plastic. If it were me, go Weatherby, I have a house in Paso Robles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.