Browning X-Bolt?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by go2alaska, Mar 24, 2012.

1. go2alaska

go2alaska New Member

I was looking through the guns a few months back and came across a pre-64 Winchester model 70 in a pawn shop, it was totally custom, a beautiful gun, perfectly balanced. It was $1,000.00 , I didn't have it at the time, so I missed the opportunity. Today I was wandering around and picked up a Browning X-Bolt rifle , it was SWEET, beautifully balanced, you could hold that rifle in that position for an eternity. I normally would not consider a bolt action, having spent most of my time shooting an M-14 and have always preferred the option of an immediate follow up shot. anyone have any experience with the Browning X-Bolt?

2. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

I have one an X Bolt composite stalker in 300 WSM. I shot it at 1k today and after 4 shots to get my barrel fouled it was ringing the 24 inch steel with no problems. I love how fast it handles, and it's super accurate for such a lightweight factory rifle. It'd be one of the last rifles I'd ever get rid of.

3. 7stw

7stw Well-Known Member

I am very impressed with Browning as a whole. I recently picked up a A- Bolt in .270. It shoots incredibly well, to the point that I also just saw a Beautiful X-Bolt, with a wood stock in 270 WSM. Price is 500 even. Everyone I know that owns a browning not have complaints. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. I think they make a great product.
    I think the X- Bolt may have a new home soon!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.:). gun) 7 STW.

4. go2alaska

go2alaska New Member

Thanks for the information, I just held it and looked down the barrel, and it felt sweet, like you could stand there with it in that position for a very long time, which makes one hell of a difference when you can stay there, waiting for a better shot to develop. To try that with a heavier gun I'd have compensated by finding a tree and wedging a bit, or laying down, but to be able to just stay still and wait is a very good thing when you are waiting for a moose shot to develop. As it is now I generally lay down, with a 10.7 lb semi-auto and wait, and then I always have the option of sending a 2nd or 3rd round in very fast. I am just weighing the options, if the gun is light enough i might be more willing to wait for the shot to better develop. This make any sense?gun)

Again, thanks for the information, both of you.

5. lloydsmale

lloydsmale Well-Known Member

buddy has one in 300 wsm. Ill say this. I dont care for the stock shape, i prefer a more conventional looking stock but his is sure a shooter. Ive seen him shoot many 3/4 inch 5 shot groups with it and its about the least picky out of the box bolt gun ive ever seen. I dont think it shoots much of anything over a 1 1/4 at a 100 yards.