Weatherby stock shrinkage and action screw

reloaderlen

I have a Weatherby Mark V that is 50 years old. The rear action screw is protruding through the action just a hair to much when tightening down, it is catching on the bolt when cycled. I thought of putting a washer between the bottom metal and stock to reduce this.
I don't want to half *** it so I'm seeking advice on how to properly fix this.
Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 48
Can you remove the screw and file/grind shorter? Touch up blue if desired or paint black. We have two Mark v backcountry 2.0 with carbon stocks. My son's action was ever so slightly rocking front/rear. One of the screws (forgot which) was bottomed out and shortening the screw resolved the rocking. These carbon stocks do have pillars. It now shoots better than mine!

Before putting pillars in, you can manually swell the timber back out by using heat and moisture.
If you do pillars, make sure it does not fill the space behind the tang, a split stock is to be avoided, the gap in the wood is required…

Cheers.

Before putting pillars in, you can manually swell the timber back out by using heat and moisture.
If you do pillars, make sure it does not fill the space behind the tang, a split stock is to be avoided, the gap in the wood is required…

Cheers.
G'day Magnum, Does the caution "make sure it does not fill the space behind the tang" mean do NOT bed the tang or do not bed between the rear pillar and the tang? Regards.

Forgive me for my ignorance can you elaborate on the heat and moisture?
If you wet the wood, use a steam jet, then heat the wood with a small soldering iron, the wood will swell.
G'day Magnum, Does the caution "make sure it does not fill the space behind the tang" mean do NOT bed the tang or do not bed between the rear pillar and the tang? Regards.
If you pillar bed, you need to do both front and rear, on the rear, where the bedding goes around the pillar, it is important to keep the gap behind the tang. If you fill that gap with modelling clay prior to bedding in the pillar the gap will not be affected.

Cheers.

I just got got a wooden stock savage model 10 in 7mm-08 to work on. I notice the gap on the rear tang. The action screws had no torque on them, guessing the wood has shrank. The fit of the receiver looks and feels really good. I was thinking of pillars and bedding but I'm wondering if the wood is going to expand and contract that maybe just keeping a consistent torque on the action screws might be better in the long run? I haven't shot it, owner just said it shot like crap. It had a tasco scope. I am not a gunsmith, I just enjoy helping friends and family out

I should clarify on the gap of the rear tang. On this rifle the rear action screw is in the front of the trigger guard. The gap im referring to is that the tang has a gap when the action screws are tightened.

Could be that over time, the wood compressed, possibly from oil migrating to that area while the rifle was being stored. The oil softened the wood, and it compressed slightly. My Weatherby Mk V did the same thing, so I just removed the screw, polished the end with a Dremel until it didn't contact the bolt , then blued the tip of the screw that was now shiny from being polished. Nothing else was needed and all is well.

I should clarify on the gap of the rear tang. On this rifle the rear action screw is in the front of the trigger guard. The gap im referring to is that the tang has a gap when the action screws are tightened.
As they say, "pictures are worth a thousand words." The english language is vague and often what you think you're saying is not interpreted the same by the person receiving it. Digital cell phone pictures that you modify with some arrows pointing to the subject area, etc. are cheap.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
"I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU THINK I SAID, BUT I AM NOT SURE THAT YOU REALIZE THAT WHAT YOU HEARD IS NOT WHAT I MEANT."

Last edited: