Action screw torque

Warrenoliver

I am one of the lucky/unlucky guys who has a new Montana rifle company .280AI. I received the rifle mid December and since that time, I have been unable to contact them about problems with hollow point bullets hanging up on the feed ramp. I see they are now closed so it looks like I'm on my own.
I found that the feed issue was due to the internal magazine incorrectly shaped. I have been able to correct the problem but I don't know the torque settings for the receiver screws. The rifle is the ASR model with a cerakoted steel barrel and receiver, and a wooden stock. I don't know if it has pillars.
Any help here?

Thanks
Warren

These are the general guidelines. I would remove the stock and verify if pillars are installed.

Wood, Fiberglass or Synthetic stock without bedding pillars-
40 inch-lbs.

Wood, Fiberglass or Synthetic stock with bedding pillars -
up to 65 inch-lbs.

Thanks for the quick reply. Does the stock separate easily from the barrel/action? Does it just lift off or is there a trick to doing it. I have never removed a stock before. I see only 2 screws and don't see anything else inside the magazine.

Thanks for the quick reply. Does the stock separate easily from the barrel/action? Does it just lift off or is there a trick to doing it. I have never removed a stock before. I see only 2 screws and don't see anything else inside the magazine.
If it's been bedded, it's most likely going to be tight to get apart. Not impossible, you'll just have to take your time and pull up on the barrel with one hand and pull up with the bolt with the other and wiggle them back and forth. If it's not bedded, it will just pull apart pretty easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.