Action screw stripped in stock, help!

Wrcassell21

I have a savage model 10. My brother noticed my action screws were loose so I used the method of torquing the front 2 to 35 lbs and the rear to no more than 30 in-lbs in 5lb-in increments. Problem is the back screw has chewed of the plastic on the inside so there is nothing for screw to " bite" too. And groups are 2 ft at 200 when I was shooting .9" the day before. How can I fix this? It is model 10 with 3 action screws and bolt release on top right of action

On a model 10 the rear screw only holds the trigger guard to the stock, the front two are the action screws. I'd ditch the plastic trigger guard for a metal one anyway.

thanks for the advice guys but I may have bigger problems, shot about a half inch group at 200 this am, adjusted for zero then shot another group. the first two once adjusted were where they should've been then had shots 3 and 4 a random 3" from bullseye and not together , I dismounted the scope and reshot the gun with another scope and shot just fine . so I'm gonna send it on in to vortex and let them at least look at it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.