Action screw stripped in stock, help!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Wrcassell21, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Wrcassell21

Wrcassell21 Well-Known Member

I have a savage model 10. My brother noticed my action screws were loose so I used the method of torquing the front 2 to 35 lbs and the rear to no more than 30 in-lbs in 5lb-in increments. Problem is the back screw has chewed of the plastic on the inside so there is nothing for screw to " bite" too. And groups are 2 ft at 200 when I was shooting .9" the day before. How can I fix this? It is model 10 with 3 action screws and bolt release on top right of action

2. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

On a model 10 the rear screw only holds the trigger guard to the stock, the front two are the action screws. I'd ditch the plastic trigger guard for a metal one anyway.

3. Wrcassell21

Thanks I just realized this , what torque value would you go to?

4. extreme

extreme Well-Known Member

Trigger guard screw is usually 5 to 8 inch pounds

5. Wrcassell21

What about the action screws for 2screwactions.?

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

7. Wrcassell21

thanks for the advice guys but I may have bigger problems, shot about a half inch group at 200 this am, adjusted for zero then shot another group. the first two once adjusted were where they should've been then had shots 3 and 4 a random 3" from bullseye and not together , I dismounted the scope and reshot the gun with another scope and shot just fine . so I'm gonna send it on in to vortex and let them at least look at it.