Weatherby Set Custom Builds

257wby257

Hey Guys - I'm new to the forum but have been an avid hunter for quite some time. I'm looking for someone to build a set of .257, .270, and .300 Weatherby custom rifles. My apologies....bc I'm sure this has been discussed a number of times. But here it goes again. I've owned a few HS Precision and older Bill Wiseman rifles and was looking at McWhorter this go around. Any advice / suggestions / insight would be much appreciated. I'm not terrible worried about money. However, I do want someone to be willing to spend a good bit of time with me answering questions and building these with incredible attention to detail. Thanks in advance off the opinions and wisdom that might be share!

I would build a .25-06 AI, 7mm Wby, and .300 Ackley Magnum (.300 Wby Ackley Improved 40* Shoulder....PT&G has the reamer print available).

The reason being is that I have had my .257 Wby Mag since 2008. It's an awesome caliber, and one of my favorites...But I have discovered that my .25-06 AI does the exact same velocities and energy with 10-15 grains LESS powder. It's much more efficient. And brass lasts longer, and I can get .270 Win brass for really cheap and everywhere.

And the .300 Ackley has a little more velocity and efficiency compared to the .300 Wby, even though you form brass from regular .300 Wby brass. So if you have .300 Wby brass already laying around, the only expense is a custom sizing die, which you can have a complete custom set made for about $275 from Whidden. Or you can do it the cheap way, like I do, and use my .300 Wby neck-sizer and seater die. Kind of cheating the system, but it works. Necessity is the mother of all invention. :D

My appologies if you are wanting a complete set for sentimental reasons. I was just trying to help by suggesting some more efficient caliber options.

Yeah. They are sentimental. I have an awesome .257 in an HS Precision that cuts holes with factory ammo. I don't know that these are as much about that as they are great craftsmanship and hopefully something I can pass down when my little girls get married one day.

You might contact J E Custom. He is a gunsmith on this site that has experience with and affection for Weatherby rifles.

McWhorter builds exceptionally nice rifles. I have had personal experience with 3 of them, though none were owned by me. 2 of those I'm still shooting as they belong to a friend. If you want one with a Weatherby caliber some things to note:

- they (McW) often build rifles with short freebore. So, if you are going to use factory Weatherby ammo be sure to specify you want factory freebore.

- they often build rifles with 24 inch barrels. I don't know why, but if I was starting from scratch I'd go with 26 inch barrels to get the appropriate velocity.

- they usually use custom Remington-style actions. Nothing wrong with this, but if you want a Weatherby action you might have to supply the action or pay them do source one.

And yes, I'd swap the 270 for a 7mm Wby, but then I'm highly biased since I own them. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.