Building a custom out of a WEATHERBY MARK V

I'd bed it.

If you've ever looked inside, the material that is installed as "bedding" looks like inexpensive yellow glue. There is just a daub of it under the lug, and it will peel right out of there.

Bed the action and I'd suggest you will see a difference.
Also think about adjusting the trigger down if you prefer a lower weight of pull.

I'd bed it.

If you've ever looked inside, the material that is installed as "bedding" looks like inexpensive yellow glue. There is just a daub of it under the lug, and it will peel right out of there.

Bed the action and I'd suggest you will see a difference.
Also think about adjusting the trigger down if you prefer a lower weight of pull.
I have never been impressed with the trigger on that rifle...It feels thick and chunky and it's so loose it moves side to side. I definitely need it adjusted bad. I prefer a VERY light trigger. I mean, the rifle is more than accurate enough for inside of 500 yards, which is all I use it for, but I want groups around 1/2 MOA out of a rifle that cost that much.

It shoots good, and I love the caliber, but I definitely expect (maximum) 1/2 MOA out of a $2,200 rifle with a $1,100 Zeiss on top of it... It's stomped plenty of deer since I bought it new in '08, but now that I'm in the works of a .25-06 AI that's more geared towards hunting, I plan on using the .257 Wby for more LR shooting and medium range deer, so I need to get it shooting as best as I can.

So, I hope none of yall took this to mean the rifle shoots bad, it's just not as good as I hoped it would, since none of my loads tend to shoot under 1/2 MOA (except on occasion), but more often around 3/4 MOA, which is still acceptable out to 500 yards or so, but I want it down to 2-2½" groups at 500. Then I'll be happy. :D

I have never been impressed with the trigger on that rifle...It feels thick and chunky and it's so loose it moves side to side. I definitely need it adjusted bad. I prefer a VERY light trigger. I mean, the rifle is more than accurate enough for inside of 500 yards, which is all I use it for, but I want groups around 1/2 MOA out of a rifle that cost that much.

It shoots good, and I love the caliber, but I definitely expect (maximum) 1/2 MOA out of a $2,200 rifle with a $1,100 Zeiss on top of it... It's stomped plenty of deer since I bought it new in '08, but now that I'm in the works of a .25-06 AI that's more geared towards hunting, I plan on using the .257 Wby for more LR shooting and medium range deer, so I need to get it shooting as best as I can.

So, I hope none of yall took this to mean the rifle shoots bad, it's just not as good as I hoped it would, since none of my loads tend to shoot under 1/2 MOA (except on occasion), but more often around 3/4 MOA, which is still acceptable out to 500 yards or so, but I want it down to 2-2½" groups at 500. Then I'll be happy. :D

Bed the action and you have what you have!..

Bed the action and you have what you have!..
That's what I plan on doing. I also pulled those stupid shims out from under the trigger guard, which were there from the factory...They were inbetween the stock and the metal trigger guard. After looking it all over I have no idea why either. They were on the back side of the trigger near where your hand grips the stock. Anybody else's Accumark or Mark V have shims in it?

The more I take it apart, the more I believe it was a Monday morning or Friday afternoon rifle...

That's what I plan on doing. I also pulled those stupid shims out from under the trigger guard, which were there from the factory...They were inbetween the stock and the metal trigger guard. After looking it all over I have no idea why either. They were on the back side of the trigger near where your hand grips the stock. Anybody else's Accumark or Mark V have shims in it?

The more I take it apart, the more I believe it was a Monday morning or Friday afternoon rifle...

They use the shims to make sure the trigger guard is level with the stock. If you don't want them I would love to have them.

Trigger instructions:
http://www.weatherby.dk/content.php?32-How-to-MOD-your-MK-V-Trigger

The trigger mod works great, even better with the polishing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.