Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Vs. Kimber Mountain Ascent

Bominiscious

Going to get one in 280AI. Wanting something lightweight to carry on public land hunts and on the family farm, where shots will typically only be a couple hundred yards and in, But that I can also stretch out on some powerlines and bean fields.

Anybody have experience with both? I had a Montana for a while in 7–08 and I really liked it.

Last edited:
I do.
For me it is what kind of safety you really like.
So Kimber gets my vote.

Kimber action doesn't need breaking in or hope you get a good one. Accuracy issues have seemingly declined but the "fixes" area well known. Stocks are underrated.

Weatherby- My buddy has one for a year now. He shot it at home a few times but drove all the way to my place to really get it dialed. The action and bolt close on a new factory round would hardly chamber. I think I shot it once and he said it needs breaking in. Heck no. Sent it back to factory and right before his trip to Newfoundland. Very anxious timing. To their credit they fixed it (somehow) new bolt maybe and returned with excellent coms. It has a great stock Peak44 gen 1 recoil pad and carries like a dream.

I cut my Montana to 22" and sent to Black Ice coated the metal and dipped the stock. Of all the bolt actions I have, I'd probably part with it the last.

I do.
For me it is what kind of safety you really like.
So Kimber gets my vote.

Kimber action doesn't need breaking in or hope you get a good one. Accuracy issues have seemingly declined but the "fixes" area well known. Stocks are underrated.

Weatherby- My buddy has one for a year now. He shot it at home a few times but drove all the way to my place to really get it dialed. The action and bolt close on a new factory round would hardly chamber. I think I shot it once and he said it needs breaking in. Heck no. Sent it back to factory and right before his trip to Newfoundland. Very anxious timing. To their credit they fixed it (somehow) new bolt maybe and returned with excellent coms. It has a great stock Peak44 gen 1 recoil pad and carries like a dream.

I cut my Montana to 22" and sent to Black Ice coated the metal and dipped the stock. Of all the bolt actions I have, I'd probably part with it the last.

ADK, Thanks for the input. I would LOVE to see a pic of your Montana. That sounds really nice.

I have a 2.0 Backcountry and a Kimber Montana. I suggest you hold/shoulder them both and pick whichever feels best. The Weatherby has a slight palm swell which gives it a different feel from the Montana.

Recent Posts