Weatherby Actions

I dont mean to hi-jack this thread but I just bought my first weatherby mark 5 and have a question, it was a used rifle with 8 rnds down the tube, it came with 3 1/2 boxes of ammo included bullet weights are 200 and 250 grainers , caliber is 338-378

There is a half moon cut out in the action, I am thinkin it is there for the rnd to be ejected if its not shot, my question is can this cut out be enlarged to allow for a longer cartidge???

Can somebody chime in with the overall length of their cases using the 300 grn SMK's?

The factory rnds just barely eject and extending the length any at all they do not eject anybody got any suggestions,I was thinkin about cutting out the half moon abit more

I dont mean to hi-jack this thread but I just bought my first weatherby mark 5 and have a question, it was a used rifle with 8 rnds down the tube, it came with 3 1/2 boxes of ammo included bullet weights are 200 and 250 grainers , caliber is 338-378

There is a half moon cut out in the action, I am thinkin it is there for the rnd to be ejected if its not shot, my question is can this cut out be enlarged to allow for a longer cartidge???

Can somebody chime in with the overall length of their cases using the 300 grn SMK's?

The factory rnds just barely eject and extending the length any at all they do not eject anybody got any suggestions,I was thinkin about cutting out the half moon abit more

I would not open up the ejection notch any more just to eject a loaded round that will not
fit in your mag, you must be single loading them any way so just open the bolt and then pull
the bolt release (Trigger) moving the bolt back just enough to eject the loaded round).

This is normal when shooting the 300SMK near the lands. COAL can be different on most rifles because seating depth is/may be different.

Weatherbys have lots of free bore and to reach the lands, one must seat bullets very long
(Longer than the action was made for).

J E CUSTOM

How much free bore do factory Wby have? I've heard about .500thou. Is it that much? Anybody know how much they have?

B23, go to the weatherby website and I believe it under frequently asked questions and it lists the freebore for each weatherby cartridge.

3160fps with a 210 Berger from a 30/378 is nothing to sneeze at! Thats the speed we get from a stock 30/378 Accumark that shoots 2.5 inches at 500.

I also have a 300 wthby Accumark I am going to have reamed to 300 Ultra. Case fits the mag and wants to feed. Bolt head fits well and I cant see an issue at this time.
Once my edge is completed this is the next cab of the rank!

The barrel shoots quite well but I'd like the Bergers going closer to 3000 fps than 2800! I get clover leafs from the 210 Bergers and 77gn of 2213sc in the 300 Roy.

On the 338/378 front we can achieve 1/4 inch groups with 300 SMKS..

Accumarks can shoot well with a tweak and good ammo!

I have a 338 edge built off of a 300wby mkv action. The action was blue printed and then fitted with a 28 inch lilja barrel , gun shoots awsome and with a 4 port de brake is pleasure to shoot.

my 7mm is a complete custom build on a left handed weatherby mkV action. My gun smith is Jim Bullock from New Waverly, TX. He has built me 8 rifles and all are EXTREMELY accurate. I have 7 kills over 1000 yards with my Weatherby including a baboon at 1456 yards and hog at 1370. Both were one shot kills. Call him at 936-436-9380

You are welcome .

Look under the thread "Gun Photos" and there is an article about exactly what you are think
about building written by Autorotate with lots of details. and I'm sure he will be happy to
guide you through the build.

J E CUSTOM

Couldn't be happier with 30-338 Lapua Improved JE Custom built.

Very high horsepower thirty in a sporter package. If you want about the flattest shooting, hard hitting (on the target side) thirty with good brass life you can put together right now.....it's probably one of the best ways to go about it.

I'm told an ABS barrel would drop 2 to 2.5 lbs from that rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.