Weatherby VG / Howa actions

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bkknupp, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Bkknupp

Bkknupp Well-Known Member

Have these actions proven to be accurate shooters ? I have heard a lot of good things about them but never owned one. Compared a VG to a model 700 both in .257 Weatherby today. I am sad to say that the VG action to me was smoother.I am trying to find a accurate rifle in .257WB , but I dont want to spend the $ on a Mark V right now.

2. Weiberg

Weiberg New Member

I know of three weatherby vanguard series 2 in 257 weatherby that shoot 3/4 moa first groups out of the box with the cheap factory ammo

3. frequent misser

frequent misser Well-Known Member

I made the same comparison a couple of months ago. I own or load for 5 howavanguard rifles and all shoot better than 3/4moa. Mostly 1/2 with handloads. I bought a first series vanguard in 257 weatherby and stocked it with a bell and carlson medalist. It is shooting closer to a 1/4 moa. I was worried about the 24inch barrel but im running 115 bts at 3400. Couldn't be happier. I have about 700 in the rifle and stock. If you look hard enough you might find a cdl for 750 and I doubt it will outshoot the vanguard.

4. Bkknupp

Bkknupp Well-Known Member

You have done exactly what I want to do !

5. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

No comparison, especially if you're thinking a new rifle.

I'd buy the Vanguard in a second.

6. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Ditto above, my 257 wby sits in a Stockys thumbhole,shoots great

7. thumper1

thumper1 Member

I've owned many VG's and a few MK V's and i'd have to say my 300wby Vanguard out shot my Accumark hands down. Actually all I have in my cabnet right now is in the way of weatherbys (not mentioning others) is my Vanguard S2 I see no reason on spending thousands on a MK V any more.