weatherby action?

sniperboy

Hi to all

I am looking at buy a weatherby rifle, and was wanting to know are the weatherby actions good for custom work and long range accuracy? Is it a action that gunsmiths recommend for custom rifles?

Thanks

The weatherby action is certainly a good strong action. It is most certainly capable of precision work. I have seen a few that have been trued and shoot exceptionally well. Come to think of it if you send 115vld a message he can tell you a lot more. He has a custom 257 Weatherby built on a weatherby action. I have shot this rig and it is outstanding.

With that being said I tell you this. Weathterby actions don't have as many aftermarket goodies as a Remmy but they are stronger. Thus you may have to look harder for things like stocks and bases but they can be found.

Most of my rifles are based on Weatherby MK 5's or Remingtions.

My normal recomendation is for the really big cartriges with a powder capicity
more that 90 grs or a bolt face Dia. larger than .534 I like to use the MK 5 (It
also has a .100 longer magazine) and anything that will handle the 460 Weatherby
has got to be strong.

And for all others the 700 LA,700 SA,Mod 7 and the 673 Remingtions work well
and can be made to shoot very well.

I do not own a Weatherby vangaurd ,I have the Rem,s on this class of
rifle, I'm sure they are good actions but I see no advantage over the Remingtion,s

What caliber are you thinking about ?

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.