Weatherby Accumark vs Vangard

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by dariuszczyszczon, May 20, 2009.

1. dariuszczyszczon

dariuszczyszczon Well-Known Member

So why is an accumark cost $1800 and a vangard cost $900, but Weatherby states that the vangard will shoot sub moa 100 yds and the Accumark a 1 1/2 at 100 yds but it costs about $1000 more? So for shooting long distance is the vangard better?gun)

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. Seven Oaks

Seven Oaks Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the Vanguard is better for long range shooting. However, the few MOA rifles I have been around lived up to their guarantee.

I would think the Accumark would be an MOA rifle as well, with the features it has- a Kevlar re-enforced stock with an intergal aluminum bedding block. It also features a Krieger button rifled Bbl. if I'm not mistaken. This also explains some of difference in cost.

I don't know if they share the same actions or not.

If I was going to spend $1,800 I would look at a M52 Cooper Jackson Hunter or Excaliber. You'll get an accuracy gaurantee of .5" and they live up to it as well.

Hope this helps some.

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

The Vanguard is built on a HOWA action they are from Japan veary strong. The Accumark is built on Weatherbys MK5 action.

I think both rifles are great but for my money I would go with the Vanguard and trick it out with a good scope and rings.

4. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

I've owned an Accumark and my father has one now. I really like them when I purchased them years ago. Mine shot 3/4moa with factory and 1/2 moa with reloads. My dad's shoots even better. They are great entry level long range rifles but..... at $1800 i'm not so sure. That's way to close to custom rifle cost. If I could get one for $1300 then it would be a no brainer.. Having said that I picked up a Vanguard sub moa today at a shop and was very impressed. Seems like a well built rifle and they guarantee they shoot. To me the Accumark feels better but your mileage may vary. If you can get to a gun shop that has both and see which one feels better to you. As long as your doing that though pick up a Rem Sendero it's priced right in the middle and I like it quite a bit. If you really love the Accumark wait to pick one up used unless you can find a good deal online.

5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The accumark is built on a MK5 action and has the 9 lug bolt the vanguard has a smaller bolt
    with 6 recoil lugs (Doesn'T make it inferior just smaller) the vangaurd is normally chambered in
    the standard calibers and the MK5 is chambered in Weatherby calibers.

The 1 1/2 MOA is the max guaranty and most will shoot less than 1 MOA .

All the other features are what makes the accumark more expensive.

If you put together a rifle that had all of the features you would spend as much so it is
    just what you want and can afford. but if you can find a MK5 for less than $1500.oo it
    would be a good deal.

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

+1. Topic should have been Vanguard vs. Howa. :D

Good luck!

7. rdsii64

rdsii64 Well-Known Member

The vanguard sub moa also has an integral aluminum bedding block block