300 weatherby Accumark

You might want to check out the cost of rechambering and remarking the barrel. A bit of Google searching shows that it's about $150 and up if you believe posted prices.

$1200 new for a Sendero vs $1500 for a new Accumark. That gives you a $300 cushion which goes down to under $150 with rechambering, but after a while when the price becomes that close you have to ask yourself which one you really want.

For the price difference I'd take the Accumark with the shorter bolt throw and stronger action, but that's me.
Where you finding new Accumarks for $1,500? I paid that for mine 5 years ago...Retail was only $1,800 back then. Retail is now $2,200-2,300 and even my local store (where I bought mine) now sells them for $1,899-1.999...

And yes, the Senderos are worth every penny. And it shouldn't cost $150 just to recut the chamber, unless the smith removes the barrel... And if he removes the barrel, you might as well have him true the action and barrel's shoulder lug and then rechamber and put it all back together. Then you'd have a 100% trued up Sendero, and you should be shooting 1 hole groups in your new .300 Wby Sendero SFII for under $1,500. :D

Now I have something else to consider. Doug, my friend and fan of the 30-378 informed me that Remington used to make a .300 WBY in the 700. I'm suffering from too much info. I should just buy the **** gun! I've shouldered it, like the feel of it, like the looks. Now I just need to make time and go out and shoot it!

Rem Classic think is was 1989 was chambered for the 300WBY. When I first moved to Co I had 7mag also factory 7Wby that I special ordered when I lived in Ca.

I haven't kept up with all the models Rem makes.

Wby custom shop is offering Kreiger barrels

Custom-Cut Rifled Barrels | Weatherby.com

I forgot to mention I'm rifle hunter first but started bowing hunting 2011

Well good luck

Where you finding new Accumarks for $1,500? I paid that for mine 5 years ago...Retail was only $1,800 back then. Retail is now $2,200-2,300 and even my local store (where I bought mine) now sells them for $1,899-1.999...

You just look for them:
Weatherby Accumark 300 wby mag : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

And yes, the Senderos are worth every penny. And it shouldn't cost $150 just to recut the chamber, unless the smith removes the barrel... And if he removes the barrel, you might as well have him true the action and barrel's shoulder lug and then rechamber and put it all back together. Then you'd have a 100% trued up Sendero, and you should be shooting 1 hole groups in your new .300 Wby Sendero SFII for under $1,500. :D

I just Googled the cost of rechambering, and $150 was the common baseline cost. You're welcome to try that too.

I also own a Sendero and an Accumark. They each have their benefits, but if I'm wanting a 300 Weatherby in a heavy rifle it'll be in an Accumark. I generally prefer Mark V's over Rem 700s every day, but again that's just me.

That's what I was thinking. If you are going to rechamber it get it trued at the same time and have a laser.

Of course for the same money one could just buy a new 300 Rum Sendero and have it trued or for a bit less pick one up slightly used.

Let's face it when you get into the super magnums when you find them used it's usually not because they didn't shoot well or because they are worn out it's because the owner decided he couldn't live with the recoil, and/or didn't want to lug that heavy of a rifle around in the boonies.

Damned few people will ever get the value of the big magnums anyhow since they won't shoot at ranges where there's any significance in the capabilities of going with anything bigger than a 7 Rem or 300wm and that too adds to why there are so many good deals on low mileage bigger magnums for sale.

That's what I was thinking. If you are going to rechamber it get it trued at the same time and have a laser.

Of course for the same money one could just buy a new 300 Rum Sendero and have it trued or for a bit less pick one up slightly used.

Let's face it when you get into the super magnums when you find them used it's usually not because they didn't shoot well or because they are worn out it's because the owner decided he couldn't live with the recoil, and/or didn't want to lug that heavy of a rifle around in the boonies.

Damned few people will ever get the value of the big magnums anyhow since they won't shoot at ranges where there's any significance in the capabilities of going with anything bigger than a 7 Rem or 300wm and that too adds to why there are so many good deals on low mileage bigger magnums for sale.
And these 2 reasons here are why I scour the local classifieds in my town to find RUM's and WinMag's, STW, etc...Because everyone snatches up the '06's and .270's.....But you throw a RUM in the classifieds for a decent price and she's gonna sit there. Just like I got lucky buying my .338WM, even though I only wanted the action & B&C Medalist stock it was sitting in...$400 was a hell of a deal, and it came with a DNZ Gamereaper mount and a Weaven .44 Mag 4-12 scope that I ended up using the scope on a cheaper rifle that mostly sits in the safe, and am going to be using the lightweight aluminum DNZ mount on the .338 rifle, once I rebarrel it with my new 7mm RemMag barrel.

Essentially the big-bores, large magnums, and ultra-mags sit around the shelves and collect dust. I can usually pick up a nice blued/jeweled or stainless/jewled CDL or SPS for $400-500 and have a great platform to start off with.

Although my next build I will probably end up ordering new recievers from Brownells for my builds, because they are about $500 as well, and I know they're brand new.

Well that does open up some possiblities for me. A customer of mine is an excellant gunsmith. Guess I'm gonna have to have a conversation w/ him next time I see him. I also was discussing this option w/ my long range customer who mentioned that he has couple of excellant loads for me to try in .300 Win Mag. He seems to think I'll be very pleased a Sendero in Win Mag especially w/ his loads since they are almost but not quite as fast as factory .300 WBY. If I want the WBY later, then I could have that one chambered by my gunsmith. Would the barrels be interchangeable?

An Accumark in 300Wby is what Jesus would use if he hunted elk.

Any of the big 30's will easily do what you want. I personally like them better with a brake. I use my 300Wby Accumark to shoot varmints. It's that accurate. I believe the 300Wby is thee perfect elk cartridge. No problem shooting 100 rounds in a sitting with the factory Accubrake. Mine has a Leupold 8.5-25x50LRT on it. Works fine right out to 1000 yards. Either 210 Bergers or 200 grain Accubonds at 3100 fps work great. I like Accumarks so much I have 3 of them. A 300 and 2-257's. One with a brake and one without. If I didn't build rifles I would have more of them.

If I was going with a Sendero rather than trying to improve one from 300WM I would suggest just getting it in 300RUM. I hate the idea of rereaming factory barrels and it humps me up even more to even think about truing an action and then putting the same barrel back on. Like boring an engine oversize with deckplates and then using the old pistons.

On the Sendero barrels, for what they are, yes they can shoot pretty well, but you certainly have never looked in one. I have yet to see one with the chamber so crooked that the rifling on one side has 1/8" to 1/4" more freebore on one side than the other. Internally they are identical to the SPS barrels. Heavily tool marked up, incomplete lands and deep scratches going right across the lands. Even a rough as they are I have still seen plenty of them shoot 1/2 MOA.

Accumark barrels look like most customs internally. The chambers can still be crooked though.

On the Sendero barrels, for what they are, yes they can shoot pretty well, but you certainly have never looked in one. I have yet to see one with the chamber so crooked that the rifling on one side has 1/8" to 1/4" more freebore on one side than the other. Internally they are identical to the SPS barrels. Heavily tool marked up, incomplete lands and deep scratches going right across the lands. Even a rough as they are I have still seen plenty of them shoot 1/2 MOA.

Accumark barrels look like most customs internally. The chambers can still be crooked though.

My Sendero SF and 5R barrels are just as smooth when running a brush as all the custom barrels I've ran one down...And they will shoot 1/4-1/2 MOA average.

My .257 Accumark barrel will barely let a brush down it without hellacious force. When running a jag & patch I literally thought it was going to break my J Dewey rod and bend my Pro-Shot rod. It has several tight spots in it... I bought the gun brand new in late 2008 and put maybe 100 rounds through it total since then. It only shoots 1/2 MOA on good days, and on bad days 3/4-1 MOA groups @ 100 yards...Not impressive for a $2,300 rifle, when my $1,300 Remingtons will do twice that good...

Don't get me wrong, I love the gun, but as for the barrel's insides...Not impressed at all and I dread cleaning it because it's that big of a pain in the ***.

Should I send it back to Weatherby?

Not to leave you hangin. A brush can't tell you much if anything. A tight patch on a jag will tell you a lot more. I think you need to get it to an accuracy smith for evaluation. It needs to be cleaned, bore scoped and then lead slugged. This will tell you all you need to know. When slugging an Accumark, I can feel exactly where the fluting starts and stops but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy. Overall they are one of the smoothest mass produced factory rifle barrels out there. I have never heard of an Accumark barrel like you are describing. Are you using Barnes bullets or moly by any chance?

If it tests out bad by the above method you could let Weatherby swap the barrel. It might be awhile before you ever see it again.

A good way to wreck a barrel is to swab it out with alcohol or some kind of brake clean/gun scrubber/acetone and leave it dry for a long period of time. Even stainless will rust pretty quick if left bone dry.

You got hosed on the price of your Accumark. They sell around here for $1700. When I bought mine they were $1200 retail. $1150 on sale.

Not to leave you hangin. A brush can't tell you much if anything. A tight patch on a jag will tell you a lot more. I think you need to get it to an accuracy smith for evaluation. It needs to be cleaned, bore scoped and then lead slugged. This will tell you all you need to know. When slugging an Accumark, I can feel exactly where the fluting starts and stops but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy. Overall they are one of the smoothest mass produced factory rifle barrels out there. I have never heard of an Accumark barrel like you are describing. Are you using Barnes bullets or moly by any chance?

If it tests out bad by the above method you could let Weatherby swap the barrel. It might be awhile before you ever see it again.

A good way to wreck a barrel is to swab it out with alcohol or some kind of brake clean/gun scrubber/acetone and leave it dry for a long period of time. Even stainless will rust pretty quick if left bone dry.

You got hosed on the price of your Accumark. They sell around here for $1700. When I bought mine they were $1200 retail. $1150 on sale.

Man, I'm not new to guns...I know how to properly take care of them and what to use and not to use.

I only shoot Nosler Accubonds or Berger VLD's through it. That's all it's had it's entire life.

I would NEVER use alcohol or anything like that to clean a bore. I use I use Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV for deep cleaning, and Rem Oil or Kroil for quick clean-ups or wet patching.

I didn't pay $2,300...I'd have to be a moron. That's MSRP. I only paid $1,350 for mine.

Well that does open up some possiblities for me. A customer of mine is an excellant gunsmith. Guess I'm gonna have to have a conversation w/ him next time I see him. I also was discussing this option w/ my long range customer who mentioned that he has couple of excellant loads for me to try in .300 Win Mag. He seems to think I'll be very pleased a Sendero in Win Mag especially w/ his loads since they are almost but not quite as fast as factory .300 WBY. If I want the WBY later, then I could have that one chambered by my gunsmith. Would the barrels be interchangeable?
Yep you should be able to rechamber the existing barrel to 300wby if you ever managed to shoot it out; or for 300RUM for that matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.