300 weatherby Accumark

1simplemann

Howdy guys. Got some questions for the guys that know. A few details 1st. I'm a bow guy 1st and gun guy 2nd. I usually bow hunt elk early and whitetails later during rifle season because I just like getting them in close during the rut. Last year I enjoyed hunting in the Missouri River Breaks for the 1st time. I absolutely love the country. I enjoyed it so much that I just went on a rifle cow hunt out there w/ my son in law. We had such a good time that I think this may become a yearly thing. He's a good kid and i want to work on building a good relationship w/ him. Anyway, I learned a few things. 1st it's really BIG country, 2nd my little .280 is OK but a bigger, flatter round will really shine out there. Which leads me to my questions. there alot of calibers out there but my research had led me to the .300 Weatherby Accumark. This will be a hunting rifle only. I've shouldered one , but yet to fire it. My BnL has one and has nothing but good things to say about the gun. His term is "it's a meat axe" He is claims are that he hasn't had a deer, elk or his moose walk away. All dropped where they stood. These kinda results get my attention. Is he boasting? Is the gun and/or caliber that good? If I'm going back to the Breaks I want gun that has the capabilty to reach out and touch em' if you get my drift. I'm not a 1000yd shooter by any means but I can hold my own at the 300 yd bench. Plus I shoot my .17 extensively in the spring at gophers so I basically know my way around a gun. I just want to be able to kill an elk at 4,5,600 yds. I'm going to have to spend some time on the bench I realize that. Another question is will high end factory suffice for hunting? I realize hand loads are the way to go but I currently do not load anything. Remember I'm an archery nut also . I may have access to some good hand loads but I'llhave to check on that. Thanks in advance Rob

Weatherby Accumarks are very nice rifles that shoot very well in my experience. The 300 weatherby is also very nice, but maybe MORE than you need for 700 yards.
A 300 win would be much more practical if you do not hand load as there are some amazing factory loaded offerings. IMO the Accumark is one of the best hunting rifles on the factory scene.

I shoot a 300 Wby Accumark for 3 to 4 years now and confirm you BnL's statement.

It is a hell of a gun and even with factory ammo you should be able to achieve MOA groups so that give you enough accuracy for 600 yds kills. Factory ammo is quit pricey thought. Handload should give you sub MOA accuracy easily at a fraction of the price.

The only down side of the Accumark is its weight. A bit on the heavy side for walking.

Good luck

The Weatherby accumark is a great rifle. I've owned one and my father has one. They shoot very well and I think they're the most accurate factory rifle made. As someone mentioned they are heavy though. Have you shot a .300wby? The recoil is stout. You can add a muzzlebreak but that adds noise. A .300 win mag would work nicely also. Depends on you..id say see if you can shoot your bnls rifle and see what you think.

Today I had a good conversation w/ a customer of mine who happens to have a 1000yd range out his back door. He shot .300 Weatherby for 15 yrs. He told me the .300 WBY is a fun caliber to shoot and it is indeed a "meat axe". He also said that although the Accumark is a good hunting rifle but maybe not worth the cash. The Vanguard however is in his opinion an excellant hunting rifle and that he actually prefers that action. I have shouldered the Vanguard and didn't care for the stock. He told me that was a simple fix and showed me a stock that I immediatly liked. His advice was that if I was sold on a .300 then to restock it and I would have one heck of a elk rifle. He also suggested .300 Win Mag as I would have better factor ammo selection w/ only a slight decrease in velocity. Plus cheaper to shoot.

Really like the 300 Weatherby......my Weatherby has been in my family since the Mid 60's. For long range hunting I zero mine 4" high at 100 yards. Only 19" low at 500 yards. Their is only one Weatherby the Mark 5 action made in the USA or Germany by JP Sauer. suggest the MK 5 deluxe or Accumark

My load for years has been:
300 Weatherby

180 Nosler Part or Sierra Pro Hunter 180gr
IMR 7828 @ 85.0
CCI 250 primers
Hornady Brass
3290 FPS in 26"

The 300 weatherby needs a 26" tube to get the Vel. Anything shorter then you just have a 300 Win Mag in performance.

Last edited:
alos need to consider a remington sendero(1) . in addition to an accumark(2). howa/vanguard (3). the vanguards do not come with a 26" barrel . accuracy is more important though.

Today I had a good conversation w/ a customer of mine who happens to have a 1000yd range out his back door. He shot .300 Weatherby for 15 yrs. He told me the .300 WBY is a fun caliber to shoot and it is indeed a "meat axe". He also said that although the Accumark is a good hunting rifle but maybe not worth the cash. The Vanguard however is in his opinion an excellant hunting rifle and that he actually prefers that action. I have shouldered the Vanguard and didn't care for the stock. He told me that was a simple fix and showed me a stock that I immediatly liked. His advice was that if I was sold on a .300 then to restock it and I would have one heck of a elk rifle. He also suggested .300 Win Mag as I would have better factor ammo selection w/ only a slight decrease in velocity. Plus cheaper to shoot.
The Vangard is a bit of a crap shoot. Most of them will shoot decently but not even in the same league with the Accumark.

If you can find one in a 300wm it would be ideal for your application. Barrel life will be better than with the 7mm Wby and once you get past 600yds the better ballistics of the round become a great advantage.

As for the weight, if it's more than you are comfortable carrying get one of the double shoulder slings, Len Sells them at the LRH store and recommends them highly.

Another rifle that would be great for you to consider is the Remington Sendero in 300wm. There are lots of them around and come in at a much lower price point than the Accumark and they are extremely good shooting rifles. I have one in 300 Rum and it shot Sub MOA for me with both Remington Premier and Federal Factory loads with just a little tuning.

alos need to consider a remington sendero(1) . in addition to an accumark(2). howa/vanguard (3). the vanguards do not come with a 26" barrel . accuracy is more important though.
Right now I'm not sure which direction I'll go. I've got two close friends who are elk killing machines. I value their opinion. They shoot 7mm RM. I have several customers whoare 1000yd shooters themselves. Both have been all over the world. Very experienced hunters. One shoots 300-378, the other shoots 300 WSM for hunting. Right now I'm weighing the options and the benifits of each. what I need to do is shoot all three. Honestly, the supposed recoil of 300 WBY concerns me alittle. If the gun is unpleasant to shoot then I won't go that route. If it's not too bad then I've got starting point.

The 300 roy in an accumark mkv is a pretty good rifle. I helped a buddy who doesn't load set one up a couple of years ago. He had the brake on his and it popped off like a 243 when shooting 180's. The rifle tolerated the 180 wby factories, with groups just over moa; it hated the 150 grain factory load though with groups well into the 2-3 moa range.

I think the rifle was begging me to handload for it with 200 grain plus pills but my buddy doesn't want to gear up for loading it.

Right now I'm not sure which direction I'll go. I've got two close friends who are elk killing machines. I value their opinion. They shoot 7mm RM. I have several customers whoare 1000yd shooters themselves. Both have been all over the world. Very experienced hunters. One shoots 300-378, the other shoots 300 WSM for hunting. Right now I'm weighing the options and the benifits of each. what I need to do is shoot all three. Honestly, the supposed recoil of 300 WBY concerns me alittle. If the gun is unpleasant to shoot then I won't go that route. If it's not too bad then I've got starting point.
7mm Wby is great caliber (you can push 180gr bullets just over 3,000 fps), and if you order an Accumark in 7mm Wby with an Accubrake on the end it will kick like a pup. Nothing major at all. Alot of people underestimate the power of the 7mm bullets. They're only 0.024" smaller in diameter than the .30 caliber bullets. But a 180 Berger Hybrid 7mm bullet has the astounding BC (Ballistic Coefficient) of 0.674.

In the end it's your gun and your money...So get what will make you happy. I am just making sure you are aware that 7mm is a VERY effective and efficient caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.