wanting to build a "mountain rifle"

yotehunter243

I have been looking for a while at building a lighter backpack rifle for up to Elk size game. I have my action and stock already. The action is a Mark X Long action standard bolt face, with a McMillian Sporter stock. In hopes of going back to Alaskam and Colorado i want to have a gun that i can shoot 800 yards easily on game. Right now i have a 6-284 being built by Benchmark Barrels for coyote hunting and as soon as its done i will be sending this action in. I was thinking a 6.5-284, 6.5WSM, or a 7mm/300WSM (for Norma Brass). I am not 100% sure what all i can do with this action as far as different calibers. More then likely i will be shooter or attempting to shoot either Berger bullets or Sierra. barrel life isnt any concern as it wont be a high volume shooting rifle. Any advice would be appreciated.

7 WSM. Originally I wrote thought 7 SAUM or .284 WIN, but you said that it will be for hunts out of State, in which being able to find factory loads in a pinch is a good idea.
Elk are big critters, so thats why I say a 7mm over a 6.5. I personally would go bigger for elk, but thats me.

with a standard bolt face why not look at a .280AI. I built my budget mountain rifle a year ago in a 7 mag and wouldn't trade it for anything! 8lbs ready to hunt. 280 improved is nearly identical in performance to the 7mag and for 800yd bull elk I would personally feel more comfortable sending the bigger pill.

with a standard bolt face why not look at a .280AI.

^^ Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. The first cartridge I thought about when you said standard bolt face was the 280 AI. Seems to be a good fit for what you are looking for, I'm really not a fan of a 7mm anything but they do have their merits. In your situation, it would be hard to beat.

I talked to Chris at Benchmark and he told me they are building alot of 7Dakotas. I dont know much about that round. Will the 280AI handle the heavy 7 bullets or will I need to stay in the 160gr range

Twist it accordingly, and it'll handle the heavier bullets just fine. Although the 162gr A-Max at ~3000fps is nothing to scoff at...

AFAIK there is only one source for Dakota brass, and it ain't cheap.

Ya the Dakota brass is expensive. I meant will the 280AI push the 180gr bullet hard enough to have good terminal performance at say 800 yards? Or will the 7WSM?

It has plenty but if your worried 2800 or so FPS at the muzzle with 180gr. wont equal enough energy at 800 yards I can assure it is more than a 6.5x284 pushing a 140 at 2900. If you want more speed load up a 168 berger (that has nearly identical BC as a 140 vld) at 3000+ and will have more knock down than the 140. Im not saying that a 140 berger wont kill an elk at 800yards but if it were me I would step up to the 7mm.

Eddie Harren is building me a plain jane 260 Rem in a 8 twist barrel. I believe it will kill any elk that walks the face of this planet (or any other in the solar system) out to a point where you really should not be talking about a lightweight mountain rifle.

when i say light weight im talking 9-12 lbs. Im no slouch. I am 26 years old and played division I college football. I consider anything under 15lbs light weight

+ 1 for 280AI

The 280AI is my travel / mountain rifle of choice. I have taken it everywhere. I recommend 1 in 9.5" twist with a 24" tube. It's a nice balance for 7mm pills at that speed. 120 BT for antelope and yotes, 160 PT for elk at long range and 140 AB for anything else. You can get 280 Rem at most podunk stores and their great in a pinch. I haven't done much work with anything heavier than the 160 PT. But honestly, that bullet has never let me down.

i really like my .280 Rem, but I cant really dabble with the 180's (and be practical). So when my barrel is toast its gonna be a 7 SAUM or 7WSM. If your building a rifle, it makes sense to open up the bolt face and get the preformance you want.

I am new here and it just struck me that you never here much about the 30.06. Now this is an Elk caliber. The 30.06 is probebly the most versitle cal. going. One can load from a 90 grain bullet thats smoking, all the way up to a 220 grain. The Remington makes what they call it " The mountain rifle". 700 mountain rifle. Very, Very, nice firearm.

I own both a 280ai and a 7-270wsm and love them both. Both are great shooting rifles the 7-270 weights 12#s scoped bipod and loaded it shoots great, I would say my favorite rifle to shoot(I also have a 338 edge that I built for elk at long range). The 280AI weights 9.5#s and shoot great. If I were to build one I would say a 7-270wsm in a 1-8 Twist(for if berger ever delivers on the 195gr) it will shoot 180 gr bergers at 3000 + or -. The only down side is barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.