280ai mountain rifle build - actio/stock recommendations

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by stace, Dec 6, 2009.

1. stace

stace Member

Guys, I posted this in equipment and not sure if it was in the wrong spot so put it here....sorry if you have read it already but got no replies.

Putting together a lightweight mountain rifle using 140-160gn bullets (preferably barnes & accubonds).

Any pros/cons of going controlled round feed vs push/feed or vice versa for the 280ai??

What in crf or push/feed would you guys recommend? Believe Mcmillan crf is a good bit of gear but pricey and surgeon for push/feed.

Stocks??? Mcmillan Edge or Manners Super/Ultralight. Want a straight comb with cheekpiece set up.

Is there any special requirements for the 280ai like extended mag (Wyatt) and such.

2. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

For me, hunting is very often a one shot affair. I carry my rifle chambered with the safety on. So there is no difference between a CRF and a modern push feed.
    If you anticipate the need for a rapid 2nd shot then the CRF is a better bet for you.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 270 WSM Featherweight CRF, but my Rem 700 7mm and my Browning 270 shoot very well and reload (rechamber??) quickly.

JM .02