Want to try Hammer Bullets

GLTaylor

I need some help please. I have read quite a lot about the Hammer bullets in this forum. They seem to be popular generally. I want to work up a load for my 6.5 CM to give them a try. I prefer something in the 130-140 gr range and am leaning towards the 130s. I've never used Hammers, but it looks like they offer two different styles. One appears to have a smaller hollow point and the other seems to have a larger hollow point (sledge hammers)?
My self imposed limit is 400 yds. In the Southeast we rarely get long shots like you guys out West. A whitetail invariably runs with a behind the shoulder shot and generally will go +(-) 100 yds after the shot. Even hunting open fields, a deer will get to thick stuff very quickly - so a blood trail is a must.
What do you recommend for getting a through and through shot with a good exit wound and not devastating meat damage?

Sounds like you want the Sledge Hammer! I believe its a 124 grain and requires a little less twist. I lot of Sherman shooters use them with great success. If in doubt about what you need, call Steve at Hammer. He's a great guy and very helpful with his clients!
p.s. When I say a little less twist, I mean over his 131 grainer. I think the 124 needs a 7.5"?

Last edited:
I need some help please. I have read quite a lot about the Hammer bullets in this forum. They seem to be popular generally. I want to work up a load for my 6.5 CM to give them a try. I prefer something in the 130-140 gr range and am leaning towards the 130s. I've never used Hammers, but it looks like they offer two different styles. One appears to have a smaller hollow point and the other seems to have a larger hollow point (sledge hammers)?
My self imposed limit is 400 yds. In the Southeast we rarely get long shots like you guys out West. A whitetail invariably runs with a behind the shoulder shot and generally will go +(-) 100 yds after the shot. Even hunting open fields, a deer will get to thick stuff very quickly - so a blood trail is a must.
What do you recommend for getting a through and through shot with a good exit wound and not devastating meat damage?
Give Steve a call at Hammer Bullets. You might be surprised what he recommends for that cartridge...it may be lighter than what you think. Good luck!

Step one in choosing your bullet will be to know your twist rate, converting from a lead based bullet you need to be very aware of that, copper being lighter you will need to go down in weight to maintain the bullet stability. I load the 124 Hammers for our 6.5 Creesmores, fantastic bullet.

I use the Sledgehammer 130 in my 6.5 wildcat. They have a bigger hollow point than the Hunter 124 grainer. Penetration is truly amazing. I shot a 330 pound hog about fifty yards away in a near frontal hit. The bullet entered right close to the sternum and exited 30" later on the left side. Three of the petals made a triangle about 6" across around the exit.

It dropped at the shot.

I'm shooting 124s in my CM with complete pass throughs on several bucks, hogs and an antelope.....good exit wounds for blood trail if needed.....I haven't needed to trail an animal with the 124s. Also using 98 Sledge Hammers in 25-06 and 257 Roberts, 121s in 264 WM, 131s in 280 Ackley, 143s in 280 Rem, and 181s in 300 Wby.....testing 44s in 220 Swift. Devastating and accurate bullets! Pic shows antelope exit hole.

CC75037F-A02A-450A-8BFF-60769C38B115.jpeg

Last edited:
The Sledge Hammer bullets, which open quicker due to the larger hollow point, would be the best choice for animals in thick vegetation.

As an aside, while I think Hammer bullets are great, the website and product naming/organization is confusing. I had to go through the product descriptions a few time before I understood the differences. In particular, having the word "Hammer" in every product name doesn't help the reader distinguish one from the others. (meant as constructive criticism for a great product)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts