Want to try Hammer Bullets

I load Hammers in 6 different cartridges. They are my go to hunting bullet. I load the 124 gr Hunter in my 6.5-284 Norma and 6.5 Creed. Both have a 1:8 twist. The Creed just got a new barrel. Load development took a total 6 shots to find the load, then another 7 to verify velocity and group. Done with load development in 13 total rounds. See the attached photo. View attachment 164391

I had a similar experience loading the 124 HH's for my 6.5 CM with a 1 in 8 twist. Data Steve suggested using Varget was right on. 8 rounds working up to slight pressure, backed off a grain and a half (which happened to be a nice flat spot in velo), three 4 shot groups at .2 gr increments around that, picked best and was done. Right around 3,000 fps. Have taken 4 deer with them this season at shorter ranges, 60-200 yrds, all pass through, two DRT, two covered 50 to 60 yrds with lung shots, with liquefied vitals and reasonably minimal meat damage.

Looking forward to working up some of the same in my 6.5x284, 1 in 8 twist for next year. Will be trying RL-23, per their suggestion.

Last edited:
I need some help please. I have read quite a lot about the Hammer bullets in this forum. They seem to be popular generally. I want to work up a load for my 6.5 CM to give them a try. I prefer something in the 130-140 gr range and am leaning towards the 130s. I've never used Hammers, but it looks like they offer two different styles. One appears to have a smaller hollow point and the other seems to have a larger hollow point (sledge hammers)?
My self imposed limit is 400 yds. In the Southeast we rarely get long shots like you guys out West. A whitetail invariably runs with a behind the shoulder shot and generally will go +(-) 100 yds after the shot. Even hunting open fields, a deer will get to thick stuff very quickly - so a blood trail is a must.
What do you recommend for getting a through and through shot with a good exit wound and not devastating meat damage?
131 gr or 124 gr Hammer Hunter depending on twist. I use them in my 6.5x284 wil tru both shoulders on antelope and mule deer. Devastating bullet performance

The Hammers well show less pressure than conventional lead core bullets of the same weight. Any published data for like weight bullets will give you good start loads to work up from.

BC is a tough deal. Stability plays a big role in How it will come out for individual rifles. We set up 4 rifles for ourselves this fall. Three of three four needed higher bc thanwhat we list. One needed lower bc than listed. The three were running higher than min twist and the one that needed lower bc is running the min twist.

Every now and then we will see a rifle that tanks bc with no real explanation. Other than it has something to do with what the barrel is doing to the bullet.

We most definitely do not want to inflate bc's. We just want them to be accurate. Waiting, not very patiently, for the Oehler bc calculation system!

Seems like 8 shots is a average. That's what it took to get my 6.5x47 dialed in. I was previously shooting a 130 accubond. Steve told me to use the same load with the 124 HH. Worked like a charm. 41.5 gr of H4350 at 20 thou off. No velocity data yet.
What distances did you shoot and verify accuracy? Only asking because I am about to experiment these with my 6.5 X 47.

What distances did you shoot and verify accuracy? Only asking because I am about to experiment these with my 6.5 X 47.
Really only had time to shoot at 100 yds. My friend used my gun on a antelope at 200 ish and was good. This gun is mainly used out of tree stands, so shots are close. You'll like it out of the x47!! Let me know what kind of speeds you get. I was getting 2900 FPS with the 130 accubond before switching to the 124 HH. So I'd think it should be similar.

I talked to him a year ago, just wondered if something had changed, guess it hasn't.
He can't ship to Canada because of USA laws

Really only had time to shoot at 100 yds. My friend used my gun on a antelope at 200 ish and was good. This gun is mainly used out of tree stands, so shots are close. You'll like it out of the x47!! Let me know what kind of speeds you get. I was getting 2900 FPS with the 130 accubond before switching to the 124 HH. So I'd think it should be similar.
Was wondering how they shot for you at distance. I tried the 181 HH this week out of a 300 WSM and first shot out to 100 yards and was able to group a three shot group in the .2s. I was so excited. A couple of days later I wanted to see what it would do a bit further down range at 300 yards...Shot a 3 inch group. Trying to understand why it opened up so much so, going to give it another try this week. Hope I can figure it out since I do like the design.

I took two rifles to Africa in October and developed loads using Hammer bullets for my 270WSM and 338 Federal. Killed 8 out of 9 animals with one shot kills. One animal took a second shot when I pulled the shot and hit the animal in the hind quarters.

What I learned from my trip is that you don't need heavier bullets, lighter is better.

For your 6.5 I recommend a 124 grain bullet. The advantage of hammer bullets is their ability to penetrate. I shot a Blue Wildebeest at 250 yards and hit him in the upper right chest. The bullet penetrated through the chest, body cavity and came to rest in the left hindquarters against the skin. In short the animal was dead before he hit the ground. I also killed a 1,600 pound Eland with one shot breaking both shoulders and taking the top of the heart off. The bullet entered the right shoulder and exited the left. The animal took three steps and collapsed.

At the end of the day what I'm saying is you can't buy a better bullet.

Was wondering how they shot for you at distance. I tried the 181 HH this week out of a 300 WSM and first shot out to 100 yards and was able to group a three shot group in the .2s. I was so excited. A couple of days later I wanted to see what it would do a bit further down range at 300 yards...Shot a 3 inch group. Trying to understand why it opened up so much so, going to give it another try this week. Hope I can figure it out since I do like the design.
Assume you are running 10" twist? What elevation are you at? In the 10" twist The 181g is starting to be on the marginal side. Could be causing you issues. Or could have been one of those days!

If you continue to see them opening up at longer range let me know and I'll get a diff bullet in your hands.

Im currently working up a load with the 117gr sledge hammers.

The 124 is a solid choice no matter what but most tend to like the lighter faster options with the hammers. Fast and flat trajectories. You won't be disappointed with the 110's

I run the 30cal 181's at 3500fps. I've taken 90lb wt doe to 1500lb water buffalo with it. The hammers punch above their weight...I was one of those absolute heaviest for caliber shooters....until I loaded for hammers

Assume you are running 10" twist? What elevation are you at? In the 10" twist The 181g is starting to be on the marginal side. Could be causing you issues. Or could have been one of those days!

If you continue to see them opening up at longer range let me know and I'll get a diff bullet in your hands.
10 inch twist out of a Bartlein barrel. We spoke on the phone a couple of times and I thought the 181 would be no problem. If I misunderstood then my bad. What then would you suggest for that 300 WSM then. Thanks a bunch for responding to my post. It shows you are about your customers and your product.

Forgot to mention that I am about at 1000 ft.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.