Wall tent stove suggestions for late season cow hunts

If possible build a second chamber for your stove to get all the heat you can. If you look at the double 55 gallon drum wood stoves you can get the idea. Shouldn't be to hard to fabricate something up.

I can't seem to get my Cabela's tents very warm when cold outside. The condensation inside seems to keep it cold and damp when really cold even with a good stove. A good stove and canvas wall tent is the ticket when temps get cold.

We have a 14x20 wall tent. I've used propane heaters with 100lb bottles outside but I only vented heaters this keeps the humidity out of the tent.
A light weight wood stove I used the last few times is to get a barrel stove kit and a 30 gallon drum they are about 20" around and 32" long. Weld a flat plate on the top to cook on. Use a magic heat or some other heat exchanger and a heat powered fan on the top of the stove works pretty well.

Laker with the pellets do your clothes dry out over night (when they're hanging) like they do with a wood burner?

Hope you and the fam had a wonderful Christmas

The Riley pellet stove is the answer, you will burn a bag at least a day. You could add it to your wrangler. We use 4 dog stoves with Riley pellet burners. That gives the option of burning wood or pellets. We also generally use insulated tents(like army arctic tents) to sleep in and set up a kitchen tent instead of trying to heat a huge tent all the time. I've slept in an arctic 10 man tent with a riley pellet burning 4 dog stove in -27f and had to have the doors partially open because we were sweating in our underwear laying on top of the cots.

We've used 5 or 6 different stoves over several decades. The bigger, the better IMHO. The heavier, the better. You just have to decide how big a stove you're willing to haul up to camp. Bigger holds more wood, allowing you to stuff it with bigger logs that will burn longer. Heavy plate steel or cast iron will hold heat longer than sheet metal.

I'm gonna have to try one of these. Even with the best of wood stoves you will have to get up 2-3 times a night depending on how cold it is to refill and stoke the fire. To load it and wake up warm in the morning is nearly priceless.
Not with the right airtight Wood stove thats for a house.
I've been in wall tents in the Bighole valley near Wisdom MT. when it was -20 we took turns filling it up once in the middle of the night.
Putting a tarp over your roof to help hold the heat in works wonders.

The Riley pellet stove is the answer, you will burn a bag at least a day. You could add it to your wrangler. We use 4 dog stoves with Riley pellet burners. That gives the option of burning wood or pellets. We also generally use insulated tents(like army arctic tents) to sleep in and set up a kitchen tent instead of trying to heat a huge tent all the time. I've slept in an arctic 10 man tent with a riley pellet burning 4 dog stove in -27f and had to have the doors partially open because we were sweating in our underwear laying on top of the cots.
Those stoves may not work for him depending on elevation if I remember right. Riley recommended against it if above 8000ft

Last edited:
Another vote for the gravity fed pellets. They take some fiddling to get damped correctly but would keep you from having to get up in the night