Wall tent stove suggestions for late season cow hunts

Nellej12

Need stove suggestions - wood or propane.
We just returned from a Wyoming Cow hunt, this was our first year staying in a tent, 8th year hunting in the area. (Cabela's Alaknak 13x27). We were not impressed with the wood stove we had with. (Riley Wrangler). We stayed warm the 2 mornings it was -5 Fahrenheit but would like something better. We had to add wood at least 2 or 3 times a night to maintain any kind of heat so it wasn't freezing in the morning.

I'm looking for suggestions on a better wood stove or a vented propane stove that can heat that size of a tent. (Propane would be nice as its much cleaner.)

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• 20221126_121741.jpg
    20221126_121741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 250
  • 20221126_121934.jpg
    20221126_121934.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 253
I use a camp chef alpine for a 14x16' wall tent and it works well for my needs. But that's heating a 224 sq ft tent vrs your 351 sq ft. Also, to keep it going all night in extreme weather, it will need to be supplied. I've see people use 55 gallon drums, there's kits you can buy online, just supply the drum, you tube is full of diy videos on how to put one together, maybe that would work

I am NOT A FAN OF PROPANE HEAT IN A TENT!!! We use three different stoves, and two fit your situation. The biggest setup is three tents together equaling 58'X16 long with two stoves. Temps get down to low teens and single digits at night. We don't get cold and are in shorts and t-shirts at camp. Same two stoves in 28' long tents single digits down to sub zero at night with wind and we don't get cold. Quality wood matters!!!
Kwik Kamp Octogon Lg.
Wilderness Lg.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 305
Not wood or propane but a pair of Planar 2D portables might be a good option. I have a year of run time (7 Salmon seasons) on one in a gillnetter with zero issues, easy on/off, rules out carbon monoxide and it's dry heat like wood. Webasto makes higher btu models. A Dickinson stove woud be a look as well.

Nice camp! The type of wood you use can affect burn time. Pine or softwood will burn quicker and have less BTU than hardwood.

I was going to suggest a bigger stove but that thing you have is pretty big. Maybe 2 stoves since you have 2 stove jacks and that's a big tent. I think it's normal to have to restock the stove at least once per night. Tent wood stoves aren't the most efficient. Maple, cherry, oak, hickory would be better wood. I have a medium size wilderness stove from the wall tent shop for a 12x12 and it may be too large, gets to 80 in that tent in short time.

Propane not good in tents, creates to much moisture. Maybe a couple of those diesel heaters, or more.

Me and my buddy both have wood stoves his is a Cylinder I believe it is made in Colorado and mine is home made. We both usually have to add wood during the night at least once. The secret is to have stove loaded with coals and pull air down so they do not burn up before tucking in to bed.

Stay away from propane in cold weather unless you like getting rained on inside your tent. Our tents were home made from those portable garages they sell at hardware stores. We just shortened them to be seven feet at the peak. The higher the roof the lower the temperature near the floor. The longest we ever set up was 30 feet for a 300 sq.ft. floorspace. We used two tarps over the frame because that extra tarp added quite a bit of warmth by trapping air in between. The stoves were the ones we bought used from people who upgraded to more modern ones. In other words, stoves designed to heat a house. A nice touch is the glass front for light at night and being able to see how much wood is left to burn. They were heavy so we extended the legs and put a two wheels on them so we could tilt them back and wheel them. Dry your wood. Wet wood not only doesn't give good heat but it clogs your chimney is just a few days. As for lasting all night, out of a group of four, even young men, someone is going to be getting up at night, and the rule is you must fill the stove if you get up. With older men it's even less a problem.

Instead of replacing your stove, why not buy some synthetic insulated quilts to lay over your tent for insulation and cover them with plastic to keep the quilts dry? You may have to sew a couple together to be long enough to go over the top and cover both sides.

Last edited:
Sure sorry to hear you are unhappy with the Riley Wrangler stove. We have three Riley Wranglers. One for each of our 12X17 Montana Canvas wall tents. Even at 12 below zero, it's "shirt sleeve" weather in the tents. We call one of the tents the "lodge tent", and it has a 12 foot cook shack attached to it. The lodge tent is our gathering and dining area. Totally comfortable. Two of the stoves are over 30 years old, and still going strong. We love them!