Wall tent stove suggestions for late season cow hunts

So the whole thread changed to altitude. Stupid. If you camp above 8000ft use wood. I don't give a flying **** what YOU do or camp at. I said a BASE camp should be below 8,000ft(and there are good reasons for that). Well if you live at 8,000 add that 8,000 to the altitude for your personal enjoyment. **** doesn't burn the same there but you are certainly welcome to go ******* try it. I guess in the end you will figure out that people who carry that much **** up a mountain aren't doing it on a horse or their backs. So, riley pellet burners don't ******* work beyond 8,000. Who gives a ****, you aren't going to haul 40 pound bags up there anyway. And you can camp any ******* where you want. I've done it.
Man, go take a chill pill.

wow so many different opinions. No one is wrong or right. Our elk camp just had our 50th , 4th generation Anniversary in the same camp. Iv'e had wood ,oil, propane and no heat. warm and cold weather. One thing for sure (size does matter) tent size that is . From my experience a 14x16'x5' tent tarped all the way to the ground is the max to heat in really cold temps. I made a airtight wood stove out of a 24' well casing that held a 12"x24" long log plus split logs on the side and it would last about 6hrs in cold weather. Somebody has to cut wood!!!!!! We used a pellet stove once, but we had to have a generator to make it work (extra gas to have on hand ) We put up 5 wall tents for up to 21 guys and use 2 different heat sources. I use a 35,000 btu Empire propane heater with a thermostat and I use a Echo fan to move air through the tent . I take 2 100lbs / 25 gallon tanks. No mess, no fuss. The other tents use the old oil stoves like spark and sigular with a 30 gallon drum of stove oil on a stump (gravity flow ) really warm ,but stink and we all know what diesel smells like. Oil is the warmest at 147,000 btu's per gallon with propane next at 92'000 btu's per gallon . They all have their good and bad points, for me at 69 years young I prefer the propane heater , it's clean , works well ,fuel is easy to haul and someone is always going to the bar every night so I can send a tank with them to fill. Every camp is different and Iv'e learned that a little extra planing can make a big difference in comfort . Good luck stay warm

Pretty hard to keep a tent that big heated all night. I find myself up at least once a night to stoke the stove in my 10x12 😂

First every outfitter I hunted with in SW CO had base camps above 8K. I found adding really good tarp over my own tent was huge improvement in keep heat loss down through roof plus better snow slide. Good reflector behind stove helps bunch. DRY hardwood is absolute MUST for hot fire. I've tried using coal with limited success. Coal plus dry oak was decent. This was in 10x12 tent with decent size wood stove. You can damper all you want but unless stove has capacity for a lot of wood/fuel you will be getting up to add fuel. Simple mass balance of fuel to stove capacity. My thought is buy bigger stove than you think to gain capacity.

I used I believe was an 8 sided Military tent. 4' high walls, peck was 10' or so. It has a liner in it. We cook in it. We use a propane heater in it in the morning to get it warn up. I could reach it and turn on the gas, and hit the electric switch to light it off. 5 minutes it was warn in there as toast. Warn enouth get up with shorts on to get dress.
Now we didn't run the heater at night. We had enough bedding to take care of us. Weather was below -20 to -25 in the early morning.
Get a wide mouth sleeping bag, and add a second momy bag inside it. If you were to hot just open the outside bag up some.

I have to say I am a bit spoiled. The many years hunting in the Thorofare in wall tents we had a Camp Jack that would come and light the stove in our sleeping tents before we had to get up. Yeah, I admit it….spoiled.

No matter the tent a cold weather liner, a tarp over the top and on the sides. I also like to have a vestibule/mud room at the entrance so you have two doors to go through. For me these are a must in cold weather and high altitude.
If you use a wood stove it is always helpfull to bring a little coal if you can get it or dried hedge and mix that in with your softer wood so you keep plenty of coals burning and last longer. You really have to be carful as it burns dang hot!! Propane stoves are convenient They both have their pluses and minuses.