W3p 230 Tac-pm Review

Okay guys, its come to my attention that some folks would like some better bearing surface measurements......so after talkin with a freind I figured out how to measure that without having 2 comparators. I have plans to pick another one up just for this review but here is the Long Way, I hope you guys can read the numbers on my picture, it looks good on my end but Im still trying to figure out this phone and not sure why there all showing up as thumbnails...if you cant read em when you click the thumbnail let me know and ill type it all out for ya.

I hand measured 16 bullets and found an .008 thou spread, perhaps some of you who regularly sort for Bearing Surface can discern what that actually means, haha. If ya remove the High and Low then ya go to a 6 thou spread.........Ive always shot Bergers in my LR ammo and have never worried about sorting for this but I can definitely see its importance here...........

Anyway gonna shoot for groups this weekend hopefully and see what we get.

Attachments

• 1015142149a-1.jpg
    1015142149a-1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Al, my lot came in between .754- .761, but it was alot of math and one comparator. Im gonna pick up another one and measure more precisley. Im sure the variance in just the tips alone could booger some of my math a little.

I hear that, we use the Hoover meplat trimmer tool to check base to ogive as well. I You can mount your caliper to the tool and check base to ogive & rebate to ogive a lot quicker. Use the Stoney Point on the rebate.

I hear that, we use the Hoover meplat trimmer tool to check base to ogive as well. I You can mount your caliper to the tool and check base to ogive & rebate to ogive a lot quicker. Use the Stoney Point on the rebate.

10 4.....

Okay picked up another comparator and measured 22 more bullets.....

.008 thou spread varying from .762 ~ .769. With the majority falling between, .766 ~ .769

Attachments

• 1017142141-1.jpg
    1017142141-1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 58
Dan,

So the sharpie thing really works?

I hiked up the shooting spot and painted MOA size yellow spots from 1177 to 500 or so.

Have the spotter set up with the gopro to video shots.

Plus will take my big gun that wears the NPR-1 reticle to spot.

I replaced the scope on the 270 AM and need to verify drops. I've been having a heck of a time with that sucker.

Let me know when yur ready.
We'll have the donks lug the stuff up the hill. :D:rolleyes:

Hey Roy,

Yeah the sharpie thing actually worked better than I thought. :D
Im sure I had to have read about that trick here somewhere:rolleyes: would have been better had I cranked about 4 moa into the scope and got all shots on target haha.

Never the less im gonna roll with what was showin and loaded up some 3 shot test groups, 95.5, 96.5, 97.5, 98.5. Ill get them shot this weekend and tweeked this week so hopefully next Saturday we can head up to the spot......... Thanks for your help to.

Did ya get ahold of Kirby on your weird phenomenon...........

Attachments

• 1018140906-1.jpg
    1018140906-1.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 79
Heres where Im at, After talkin to a few folks smarter than me it would appear that im having a stability problem. My 10 twist may not be enough to stabilize these steel tipped bullets even up here at around 5000 ft.

I cant explain why a few of them made it through the target at 300 but the majority didnt make it onto the target, and initally I thought I shoulda cranked some elevation into the scope but All bullets should have still landed on.

I talked to Al and hes gonna send me some aluminium tipped 230s and some aluminum tipped 210s to try. Remember Im just trying to see if this would make a good LR hunting bullet......

So right now Ive focused back on the 230 Berger as Ill be heading out for elk in 2 weeks, but will update this thread when I get back on these W3p bullets.

I'll tag in as well...
Your weight variations are strikingly similar to what I found. Also pretty much spot-on with the measurements I had for the bearing surface. My 30/338 Win couldn't push the 230's to anywhere close to what it can push the 230 OTM Berger. I found a sticky bolt lift at 76g WC 867 that yielded only 2637. I never shot any for groups as the Berger was clearly superior in terms of velocity in my rifle. Interested to see what else you find, and how it correlates to the data I gathered...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.