230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

Tumbleweed

Ok, this is driving me nuts and I'm very close to ordering a box of the 230 hybrid targets. My question for those of you who have been playing with these is whether the jacket thicknesses between the two is the same? I see Broz and his son are having great success with the 230 OTM version on game-even comparing their performance to that of typical hunting VLD's. My understanding is that the nose is shorter on the OTM (creating lower B/C than the target version) for magazine fitting purposes but is this the only structural difference? I love the 210VLD out of my RUM but if the target version will work well on game I will gain almost 300lbs of energy and around 100fps at 1k. I e-mailed Berger on the topic and did get a response but did not really get my question answered. Frothing at the bit on this one!!:D

I don't know this as Fact but the way I understand it. The OTM's have a thicker Jacket than the target. I am running 92g of H-1000 at around 3000 fps. My friends wife shot a cow elk yesterday with my 300 rum at about 80 yards. The elk was quartering away. The bullet entered the back of the ribs and looks like it broke into two pieces and destroyed the Lungs and heart. One exited the neck. Never found the other piece. But from what I have seen and what I have read about Broz's longer shots I think I found my new bullet. I will try to post some pics.

Here are the pics(I hope)

Attachments

• alison's elk.JPG
    alison's elk.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 231
  • alison's elk 1.jpg
    alison's elk 1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 175
Wow, 3000 fps and at 80 yards with a Berger! The elk was DRT I'll bet. From some of the posts you read that bullet should have disinigrated into thin air and the lead and copper would have been collected by aliens while the cow ran off unhurt and no blood trail.:rolleyes::D

Nice shooting and it looks like no lost meat as well.

Good job!!

Jeff gun)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know this as Fact but the way I understand it. The OTM's have a thicker Jacket than the target. I am running 92g of H-1000 at around 3000 fps. My friends wife shot a cow elk yesterday with my 300 rum at about 80 yards. The elk was quartering away. The bullet entered the back of the ribs and looks like it broke into two pieces and destroyed the Lungs and heart. One exited the neck. Never found the other piece. But from what I have seen and what I have read about Broz's longer shots I think I found my new bullet. I will try to post some pics.

That's impressive!! It's neat to see that you're getting around 3000fps with it too. My hope is that I get between 2975 and 3000 out of my 27" barreled RUM. How long is your barrel?

Wow, 3000 fps and at 80 yards with a Berger! The elk was DRT I'll bet. From some of the posts you read that bullet should have disinigrated into thin air and the lead and copper would have been collected by aliens while the cow ran off unhurt and no blood trail.:rolleyes::D

Nice shooting and it looks like no lost meat as well.

Good job!!

Jeff gun)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like your sense of humor Jeff! Sometimes you gotta wonder about those stories. Can you confirm what RLA mentioned about the Target bullet having a thinner jacket? That would be wonderful! My only concern then would be that the metplant is smaller on the target version (from what I understand) and I would be concerned about frontal area being too small to open correctly on game.

Can you confirm what RLA mentioned about the Target bullet having a thinner jacket? That would be wonderful! My only concern then would be that the metplant is smaller on the target version (from what I understand) and I would be concerned about frontal area being too small to open correctly on game.

Sorry, I can't help ya. We got the Hybrids in 300 /.338 and the 230's / .308 going and took em hunting for this year. Next summer we may look at other options but for now we are happy to have the testing done and the rifles shooting good. Oh, and the freezers full too.:cool:

Jeff

Broz, She dropped like a rock, stumbled to her feet took two steps and fell over dead. For a second I thought I saw an alien pick her back up!:D I have to say I was a Nosler AB fan. But this year Berger has made me a believer.

Tumbleweed, The rum has a 26 inch barrel and it likes h-1000. I started with 89 and worked up to 93 grains. 93 is to hot for my gun, so I backed down to 92g.
Berger sent me a max load of around 85g which is super weak. But I thought I would let you know.

Tumbleweed, Call Shawn Carlock at defensive edge. He did some testing on these bullets. So he might be able to give you more info. Good luck

Broz, She dropped like a rock, stumbled to her feet took two steps and fell over dead. For a second I thought I saw an alien pick her back up!:D I have to say I was a Nosler AB fan. But this year Berger has made me a believer.

Tumbleweed, The rum has a 26 inch barrel and it likes h-1000. I started with 89 and worked up to 93 grains. 93 is to hot for my gun, so I backed down to 92g.
Berger sent me a max load of around 85g which is super weak. But I thought I would let you know.

Thanks, that's great news! I should be able to get close to my 3000fps then. I will try Retumbo first and see how consistent it is and then try my H1000 and see what works best. I think it's time to order:D

Tumbleweed, look up Eric Stecker on this sight. He is the owner of Berger bullets. He will be able to answer your question with certainty. I'm surprised he hasn't answered yet unless he is hunting.

Tank

I'm getting ready to try some OTM hybrids in my .300 WSM with some IMR 7828 SSC to see what I can come up with. I've loaded up my first series for my Win M70 and will give them a go. The bullets are right at the lands and ended up at a COAL of 3.010. Luckily, the M70 has enough length in the magazine that these will still fit. I wanted to try H1000, but I didn't have enough space. I may still try some H1000 with a drop tube to help make space for the compressed loads. The 7828 fits fine though.

Just curious where are you guys seating the hybrids for accuracy? Also, according to Berger, aren't the thinner jackets better for hunting? I may try the 200 Hybrids as a hunting round.

The BC on the 230 is extremely impressive. Even if you can't drive them to 3000 fps you'll still have an energy advantage over other heavy 308 bullets.

For example, I can push the 210s to 2800 fps in the WSM. If I can run the 230 to 2650 fps in the same rifle, the higher BC of the 230 will give me an energy advantage over the 150 fps faster 210.

The BC on the 230 is extremely impressive. Even if you can't drive them to 3000 fps you'll still have an energy advantage over other heavy 308 bullets.

For example, I can push the 210s to 2800 fps in the WSM. If I can run the 230 to 2650 fps in the same rifle, the higher BC of the 230 will give me an energy advantage over the 150 fps faster 210.

You're exactly right. I run the 210's at 3100fps and with the 230 Hy Target at 2975-3000fps I will still have 300lbs more energy and around 60fps more velocity at 1000 yards. An added bonus, the slower velocity should be easier on the barrel too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.