Vx3 vs nightforce

califoriahunter

Other than price what does everyone think I'm putting it on a 30-378 that I'm building in behalf of a friend that just passed and gave me this rifle also if anyone can suggest a good gunsmith that would be great !!!!

Well I'm a hunter most of my hunting is done with a bow hear in cal but my buddy and I were planing on building some rifles with the intent of trying some long range hunting so after his passing I got his rifle from his wife it's a weatherby 30-378 that has a Leupold vx3 on it and other than hand loads it's nothing special but off a bench I feel comfortable out to 600 firs shot but looking to shoot something at 1000... As far as weight I'm not to concerned I myself work out 5 days a week and almost 250lbs so if it ends up 13lbs I'm ok with that.

Just though I would throw in my 2 pesos here:

I am just having a Weatherby Accumark .30-378 finished myself for long range elk. I chose to go with a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 with Kenton turret, zeroed at 300, SHOULD be good to 1000.

Currently best load is 180gr TTSX @ 3360fps and best group is .287 @ 100.

I have to admit I am cheating a little on this one, I roll my own normally but have been swamped with work (and have never worked up loads or a rifle for this range), paid a local smith to lap and mount scope/level/turret and work up load. My boss has the exact same rifle but with the Thompson Long Range scope and the same smith does all the work for him.

Cannot speak highly enough about Les, he is a member here and does excellent work.

Hunting rifle I would go with the Leupold. Plus aluma caps are great! Glass wise they are close with night force being a clear winner but the are close.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.