Nightforce vs ???

Interesting reply thanks. Seems like Leupolds aren't chosen as often as NF, Sightrons and others. Any reason?

+1 gilmillan1

I'm sure Leupold sells more scopes than all others combined. Truly, they are their own biggest competition.
Their Mk4 line is comparable to NXS.

As you have already figured out, there are LOTS of great scopes out there. The thing to remember is price differences. I really like my NF NXS scopes but since I started using the Steiner 3-15X50 Military scopes earlier this year, I prefer the Steiner to the NF right now. Of course there is a big price difference as well. You can take a look at the Leupold Mark 4 series, Vortex, Sightron, Schmidt & Bender, Hensoldt, Steiner, etc. until your eyes go blind, but until you determine how much you are willing to spend, there will be somebody pointing you toward another more expensive scope that is "better." Heck, take a look at the tracking point rifle/scope combo if you have the coin. For my purposes, Leupold, NF, and Steiner have been as reliable in competition and hunting as anything I can imagine. I've had problems with other big name brands, these three have been the most consistent and reliable from a multitude of functions. Good luck with your quest.

Geb

Good information, again- thanks.

I obviously have some more info to gather, scopes to look through etc. Up until now most of my long range shooting has been done off the bench with a Weaver T36. Not a bad combo at all, has been very effective so far but not exactly a good set up for field work.

The best optic I've had my hands on and shot for long range hunting is the Nightforce ATACR, unfortunately don't own one yet! I've replace all my Leupold with Vortex and could not be happier, a friend has replaced his MK4's with Vortex PST's and is very happy! My hunting partner runs some Sightron SIII and I like it a lot for ranges that just exceed what the Vortex can dial. None of these are even close to a ATACR, IMO!

It's really hard to beat the Sightron SIII. Having looked through the lower end Nightforce optics, I' go with the SIII. Leupolds have gone downhill in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

Earlier it was noted that the Nightforce is often picked for lr work not because it has the best glass, but is rugged and has the features needed for field work and engaging targets at ukds.

How do you think the Sightron holds up in comparison?

I have several Nikons, and a Vortex and Nightforce (benchrest model). The Vortex and NF have much better reticles, track much better, etc... and are all around more mechanically superior scopes. However, the fact of the matter is, my $199 ProStaff has better optical clarity than the Vortex and Nightforce (so does the Monarch), both have craptacular turrets, though.

I haven't tried any of the German optical companies scopes, though.

Going to War?? Get a Nightforce, anything else...Swaro, Sightron, Meopta

Not sure your budget, well I gues if you are planning on selling anytime soon get a Nightforce, although they are already losing their value because they have come out with so many new models. The origional NXS with no Zero Stop or Highspeed dials, is losing resale value rapidly.

See this is when you need to worry about vendors. -When they undercut their own merchandise, and depart from what put them on the map... It means they're lost(probably due to new management) & will do anything for no more than change.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.