Nightforce VS Premier VS USO

I like it a lot so far:

PICT0464.JPG

I think I'll like it even more after hunting with it for a season. Its size and weight is a nice change from the 36+ oz scopes.

I like it a lot so far:

PICT0464.JPG

I think I'll like it even more after hunting with it for a season. Its size and weight is a nice change from the 36+ oz scopes.
Oh darn, where did you get that!? Sweet rig! How do you like the 42mm objective? More specifically, do you get enough light in low light conditions? The exit pupil is rather small on max power so I was just wondering how it compares in low light.

To the OP, here's another player in the price range you are looking...

On the lower powers it's about as good as it gets in low light. Naturally, scopes with 50+mm objectives and really good glass will beat it on the higher powers but I think it'll be more than good enough for any legal light.

The exit pupil is naturally a bit picky on 24X compared with some, but it's perfectly usable in decent light. But if one doesn't care about size and weight the high end 6-24X56's, 5-25X56's, etc, are going to be more friendly for range use. Like I said, I don't think I will be able to truly appreciate it until I've carried it for miles and miles.

For those more concerned with low light and less concerned with spotting bullet holes in paper at long range, etc, the Premier Light Tactical would be a better choice. It's bigger but doesn't weigh much more. My Heritage was fantastic in low light.

If you don't need lower than 5X and don't mind carrying a couple more ounces, a bunch of money can be saved with a SS 5-20 which performs up there with many more expensive scopes. If I hadn't ordered the March already so long ago I'd be using that this year.

In contrast, focal plane type is a huge functional factor. It changes everything, about everything.
So focal plane type should be considered heavily, and not merely blown off to better glass.

If that was true. then Hensholdt would have FFP reticles, but they don't. FFP reticles aren't the cat's meow in scopes. FFP reticles are useful in using the reticle for ranging, but it is nothing more than a guestimate. There are volumes written on the subject of using the reticle for ranging. It can be done with FFP and SFP reticles.

The glass and it's coatings are the most important part of the scope.

If that was true. then Hensholdt would have FFP reticles, but they don't. FFP reticles aren't the cat's meow in scopes. FFP reticles are useful in using the reticle for ranging, but it is nothing more than a guestimate. There are volumes written on the subject of using the reticle for ranging. It can be done with FFP and SFP reticles.

The glass and it's coatings are the most important part of the scope.

First, he's on your side concerning focal plane. Second, your last statement is a matter of opinion and I disagree entirely. IMHO, functionality/repeateability is what's most important. Glass matters, but glass doesn't shrink MY group size and allow me to make first shot hits.

+1 Good AND A/C Guy..
If I believed that FFP scopes were actually as good as SFP scopes OVERALL(and I don't), I would have a safe full of the best of them.
But I use LRF, which is way more accurate than reticle ranging. I dial my hold-offs in MOA which is higher resolution than MILs. I prefer that my reticles don't grow to conceal varmints and targets. I don't drive HumVees over my scopes, and I carry my guns in the field, so weight matters. If I must, I would rather add a pound to my barrel than waste it on tactical hype.

Last edited:
.... Second, your last statement is a matter of opinion and I disagree entirely.....

That's OK. The OP asked for suggestions and opinions. You offered your opinion and I offered my opinion. I just wanted the OP to know that FFP reticles aren't an absolute necessity; many people like, or even prefer SFP reticles. I think the optical quality of the glass is more important than the FFP or reticle.

Zeiss has an excellent online tutorial on using a SFP reticle for ranging.

Well thanks a lot guy's on the info. There is definitely more to it then just twisting turrets that's for sure. Is there a place I could go to learn and understand the use of these feature's you all speak about. I am a hands on learner but at the same time if I don't understand the purpose of a feature then it just makes it that much more difficult to learn how to use and utilize the full potential or capabilities of the scope. If that makes any since.

Go to Zeiss' website and click on the link for the reticles. Then click on the tutorials for the various systems. S&B also has their manuals online, so you can download them and learn how to use their turret system and how to range with their reticle. From there, I would suggest snipershide dot com, in their riflescope sub forum, they have a lot of info on FFP and SFP reticles, ranging with a reticle, and LOTS of opinions about who likes which reticle best and why.

The most common advice that you will read there is to buy as good of glass as you can afford (buy once, cry once) and learn how to use it. All the reticle systems work, you just need to learn how to be proficient with it and maximize their features.

All brought to you from the guys who can't get enough FLASHLIGHT mounts on their black guns..

Or,,, Try this:
Range it, dial it, level, hold-off wind, inject lead.

Take it from a very efficient woodchuck hunter, you can't reticle range with any reliability or precision. You can't hold-off elevation, and drift, while minding level, on a small killzone with intermittant aspect.
In hunting(not the movies), you need to take things to their simplest, and most accurate form.

All brought to you from the guys who can't get enough FLASHLIGHT mounts on their black guns..

Or,,, Try this:
Range it, dial it, level, hold-off wind, inject lead.

Take it from a very efficient woodchuck hunter, you can't reticle range with any reliability or precision. You can't hold-off elevation, and drift, while minding level, on a small killzone with intermittant aspect.
In hunting(not the movies), you need to take things to their simplest, and most accurate form.
Guess the military should do away with mil dots.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.