Leupold vx3 vs zeiss conquest

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by ultra707, Nov 20, 2009.

1. ultra707

ultra707 Active Member

Hey guys,

I have a couple questions I was hoping you could help me with. I recently bought the Leupold VX-L 6.5-20x56 riflescope for my 300 ultra that's getting made right now. Everything was going good...I thought I had a great scope and it does look like a great scope but when the scope was shipped to me I found out it had 1/10 moa adjustments which were a little too fine for me. Anyway I was considering selling the VX-L and getting either a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X50 LRT or the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. I really like both scope but im afraid the Conquest will not have enough adjustment to reach 1000 yards. Also how accurate are the 1/4 moa adjustments of each scope? Do you guys think I should just try to find a used mark 4? Thank you for listening!

ultra707

2. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

I have 2 of the 6.5 x 20, one on a 300WM and one on a 6.5-284. Both are in Burris Sig. rings with the plastic inserts. Both rifles, according to ballistic programs, have enough adjustment to make it out to roughly 1200 yds. Now if I could just find someplace to shoot that far.:)

Keep in mind though that when you get near the top of your scopes adjustment range you don't have a lot of room left for windage adjustment.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009

3. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

I have a 6.5-20x56VXL that had 1/10moa turrets...had only 6moa per turn and drove me nuts! I sent it to Leupold and had them put M1 turrets and 1/4moa adjustments. Now the only thing I don't like about it is that I can't get the VH reticle changed to the TMR. The conquest might have a little better glass but the Leupold is very bright in low light conditions, and that's a better option for me on a hunting rifle.
    I have a Seekins 20moa base with Seekins rings and only have 4moa left on the bottom with my 100yard zero. I have enough elevation to take my Edge past 1900yards.

4. ultra707

ultra707 Active Member

Thank you Chris and Bravo for responding back. I knew Leupold could change the turrets but I didn't know they could also change the adjustments from 1/10 moa to 1/4 moa which is very good news for me! I really like this scope and now I don't have to sell it and find another! Bravo how much did Leupold charge you to put the m1 turrets and change the adjustments to 1/4 moa?

5. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Well-Known Member

I just sent 3 scopes off to Leupold to have them install the M1 turrets. Cost was right around $130 each - that is for both turrets. Lead time aprox. 2 weeks.

6. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

+1, I had to pay shipping to Leupold and they paid for the return.

7. head2h2o

head2h2o Well-Known Member

I have a 6.5-20 Conquest on a 22-250. I think it is a great scope. I have been pleased with mine. I have a 0 cant base on it and it still has about 36 MOA of up travel. For the 300 ultra, you should not have any problem getting to a 1000 yds, especially if you use a canted base. The only qualm I have with the scope is that the adjustment in the turrets is pretty fine. What I mean by this is that there are 18 MOA of adjustment per revolution. That is quite a bit, but if you are looking for more MOA per revolution, then this may be the ticket for you.

8. ultra707

ultra707 Active Member

Thanks everyone for responding...I called Leupold today and will be sending my VX-L in to get the m1 turrets and 1/4 moa adjustments...my scope will almost be a mark 4 now :D

9. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Ultra707, you'd be surprised the variety of changes you can get done by the different scope manufactures as well as individuals. FYI-I'd purchase the insurance when you ship it.