VX-III verse Mark 4

SES50

Has anyone actually compared the clarity between a 4.5-14 in a VX-III to a Mark 4. I am looking at trying to cut some weight and cost out of a new rifle build and was thinking of buying a VX-III 4.5-14x40 LR, B&C Reticle, 30mm tube and sending to the custom shop and having just an elevation turret installed and stay with the finger adjustable turret on the side incase I need to dial in windage.

Had an issue on my hunting trip to Colorado this year when my exposed windage knob got rotated 1.5 MOA when I was rushing to pull my rifle out of the scabbard on my quad. Did not think to check it. The shot was 530 yard and I aimed for the shoulder and hit behind the ear. Luckly he was quartering toward me with his head low when I pulled the trigger. All and all everything turned out good and no meat was ruined but I was disappointed by the shot. I am thinking I want a covered, low profile windage knob on this new rifle build. Anyone have a similar issue with exposed knobs being spun while pulling them from a scabbards? The scope in the picture is getting sent back to have the springs tightened down more so that does not happen again.

Here is a picture of the mistake incase anyone wanted to see it.
IMG_4944.jpg

I guess I kind of got off the original subject.

SES50

Since you got off the subject allready I gotta say nice deer and rifle. I have to know is that a lone wolf howler stock? If so I had one of those with a Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel that looked just like your rifle. Great stock!!

Back to your subject I have had a MarkIV 3.5-10 a VXIII 6.5-20 and a VXIII 4.5-14 with the varmint retical. I have to say I did not notice a difference in the glass. Others might feel diferent but I could not tell.

jcoop - Thanks. I had seen a couple bigger but then the season opened and they all disappeared. Yeah, that is a lone wolf howler with out the cheek rest. I am thinking I want that stock again on this new rifle. It should save me 1.5 lbs over the would stock I have and reduce felt recoil a little bit. I do not know much about the Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel but I saw you talking about them in a different thread. I need to look them up.

jcoop/xphunter - From the research I am doing that is what it was looking like. Just wanted someone to confirm it.

Thanks
SES50

I love the lone wolf stocks. Rob is curently building another palma master for me to match the one I have on my 300wsm. It weighs less than 2lb and is mostly carbon fiber. Ask Rob about the Magnum barrels I know he is a fan.

I helped two friends build rifles. I have the Mk 4 4.5-14x50 LR/T TMR. Love it! I talked them into building "like" scopes but using the VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR and having Leupold install both E&W turrets and installing Mildot reticles. Save around 5 oz and overall is a skootch cheaper. One guy likes his so much, he's having a 2nd scope built.

Oh, and toi answer your original question, clarity, to me, is identical.

Last edited:
Here is the offical reply from the Leupold Tech Support:

Optically there is no difference between the two scopes. They will both have the same clarity and brightness. However, the difference is in the adjustment style, the ring color, and also the internal construction. The Mark 4 has a double spring system and a heavier duty system build then the VX-III. This allows the Mark 4 to be mounted to .50 CAL firearms and withstand the repeated recoil.

SES50

Does this mean that if you're mounting a scope on say a .243, the Mark 4 is a bit overkill?

I was pondering the same thing, Mark 4 vs upgrading a VX-III. If I could cut some cost without kicking myself down the road that would be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.