Need to make quick decision re: VX-III or Mark 4

Or I can just buy the Mark 4 for $75 more than a VX-III with target turrets. If I feel the need for the M1 turrets I can always buy them at a later date.

Bingo! I switched from M1 to standard target turrets (actually turret, I don't dial wind) and never looked back. I'm guessing you will be happy with them. I beat the ^&%$ out of my gear chasing animals all over the west, lending my gun to clients, sitting in the rain, knocking around in scabbords, etc, etc. It's not woodchuck hunting ;^) ...but still pretty tough on stuff.

Hi,

I have used loopy for 20 years now.... I'm don't have the title of expert of some people here..... but I hunt around the world (north america, europe, africa).

If I use leupold products a lot I have some german riflescopes because few months ago quality optic in term of clarity was german.... In term of reliability never a loopy left me... Okay, I don't use them like Hammer to nail but in very hard environment or hunting abuse... I never had a problem...

Nightforce scopes are maybe stronger than leupold but always overpriced for the optic quality !!!!

I have read on forum from "experts" many craps.... I think they are Nightforce dealers or they haven't looked through a loopy since many months because even last Leupold V-III was sharper than NF. So with new VX-3.... no question, no comparaison.....

Look through a new Leupold VX - 3 (and I don't speak about VX-7 even in europe gunswriter are astonishing) and I can tell you only one thing.... they match with european product in term of optic clarity. last but not the least, leupold custom shop is the best of the place and you can choose M1 or target adjustements so from my point of view go with a loopy.

see you. ty

Last edited:
I own a dozen Leupolds and no NF.
Every time I pick up an NF and look through it, it seems very heavy.
That would be no deal breaker for varmints, but for big game, it typically costs me $10/ounce to make things lighter.
No way can I carry an NF all day.

I have VXIII and MK1V and the big turrets are not a problem for me.

Clark brings up a good point,, weight.
I have & like NF scopes, but they add ~a pound of wasted weight.
Their eyepiece rotates on power changes, which mungs up flip-up cover operation/bolt turning.
Speaking of which, NF puts a bungee scope cover in the box(which is poor in every respect),
so people generally use Butler flip-ups. And, NF optics are pretty much the same as Leupold(medium quality). But they offer great reticles. That's their hook.

With a Mk4, you can use the superior Alumina flip-ups. These scope are equal in accuracy and optics to NF, but lighter, and the eypiece extends without turning(as it should). Nearly same price... Get a reticle or other changes through the custom shop...
The Mk4 wins -overall.
If Leupold would offer it with better glass(as an option), there would not be 'better' anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.