Vortex viper pst

just got a viper 6-24x50 pst sfp moa in friday to replace it and got it mounted up and shot in saturday. so far i like it. the features it has vs the regular viper are much better.

the only thing i have noticed about it and was curious if anybody else has noticed this. at 24x there is very very little forgiveness in having my eye perfectly centered in the glass. i can turn it down just a little and it gets very easy to stay in the center. i have never had this issue with the other viper.

Yes, I have with two of the PST 6-24's. I installed them for other people and worked with ring height, moved them forward and backwards, focused, installed cheek padding you name it. This really turned me off on the scope and I am a huge Vortex fan. I will not recommend the PST due to this problem. After fighting to get a full sight picture I grab any of my rifles with a 5.5~22 NXS and on 22X I can get behind it and always a full view. Instantly!! All I can say is, if you have a PST and are happy with it , never look through a NXS. Yes they cost more but they have no excuses. Earlier in this thread some said " save and upgrade to a NXS" Darn good advice.

Jeff

Jeff

Yes, I have with two of the PST 6-24's. I installed them for other people and worked with ring height, moved them forward and backwards, focused, installed cheek padding you name it. This really turned me off on the scope and I am a huge Vortex fan. I will not recommend the PST due to this problem. After fighting to get a full sight picture I grab any of my rifles with a 5.5~22 NXS and on 22X I can get behind it and always a full view. Instantly!! All I can say is, if you have a PST and are happy with it , never look through a NXS. Yes they cost more but they have no excuses. Earlier in this thread some said " save and upgrade to a NXS" Darn good advice.

Jeff

Jeff

ok so its not just me then. hopfully i can get used to it. kinda makes me wish they would have made it in a 20X and not had the problem.

i plan to build a 338 and top it with a NXS

my PST just arrived today, rings are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. All I can say is that I'm in love. the scope is all I hoped it would be. did a check of the elevation adjustment, and if I was counting right, there's actually 67.5 MOA of adjustment, not the advertised 65...not complaining about that. The glass blows away the glass from the Nikon Buckmasters I had, and that one had really glass. really hope the rings arrive on schedule, I'd love to get her to the range this weekend

i done some 600y plinking with my PST over the weekend. i'm getting more and more use to the eye box with it on 24x and it dosnt seem to be a problem any more.

I have owned lots of nightforce and they are great. The vortex is the best thing for less and I dont see enough up side for most guys to go to a nightforce. I just shot a 383 1/2" b&c 6x7 bull in the Bear Paws on Tuesday, with a custom 338 lapua imp and a vortex pst 6-24 at 479 yards. Not a long shot but I shot a rock at 1220 yards and it tracked perfect. When you mount your pst before you tighten down the rings make sure on 6 and 24 power you are in the sweet spot and you should have no issues .

. When you mount your pst before you tighten down the rings make sure on 6 and 24 power you are in the sweet spot and you should have no issues .

Congrats on the bull of a lifetime.!!

I did all the mounting on 24 X. Getting a window at 6 x is not an issue at all. But the eye box on these scopes at 24 X is fine as frogs hair. That's a fact.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.