Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 vs Meopta MeoPro 20-60x80

Big_Red

I'd like a spotting scope in the $1,500-ish price point primarily for range use and these two are top contenders. Anybody spend much time between both of these optics?

I spoke with my trusted source at SportOptics and although helpful, they really didn't have much to say regarding optical quality differences. For other differences I noted the Vortex warranty is stronger and they noted the fixed eyepiece on the Meopta vs replaceable on the Vortex.

I've never owned a Razor HD product, but was very pleased for the price on some older Viper binoculars. Warranty was great as well. On the flip side, I understand Meopta glass is similar/same to the old Zeiss Conquest which I have been happily hunting with their rifle scopes for years.

Before making the decision thought I'd ask for feedback. Thanks folks!

At this point the warranty on Vortex is edging out the Meopta.

I can't comment on each model you listed but I do have the smaller Razor HD 11-33x50 spotter as well as a Meopta meostar rifle scope and use Meostar 12x binos. The glass in the spotter has been very impressive for it's size and I'm sure the larger model with an 85mm objective would be that much better. Their warranty is also a big bonus when purchasing high priced items.
My experience with Meopta has been they are an equally good value, like Vortex. My binos replaced some Vortex binos I was using. Meopta has been an undervalued competitor in the US for a while. The only spotter I have looked through is their Meostar 82mm model. It was very impressive and just the kind of quality you could expect of European glass. Last thing to consider is if you plan to upgrade to something like a Swaro later on, resale may be better on the Meopta. It seems that once Vortex comes out with a newer model that older models don't tend to have a strong resale. Meopta's not as popular as Leica, Zeiss, Swaro, etc, but most do recognize it as quality European glass. Don't know if that helps much but try to get your hands on both and try before you buy. I was dead set on some Razor 12x binos and bought the Meopta's after comparing side by side.

Does anyone think the Vortex Glass has been lacking lately? I noticed in their Viper line of the spotter and the scopes that I haven't been really impressed lately. I think the older glass was better? Just wondering. Back to your question, I can't comment about the meopta but the razor has some decent glass. That said have you considered the Zeiss Dialyt? I'm also in the market for a new spotter and I think I'll be going with the Zeiss. Tough, simple, military grade construction and it's a Zeiss so...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.