20-45x65 or 20-60x80?

I have a Swaro ATS 20~60x80 HD. I often crank it back off the 60x to get a clearer picture. The mirage on 60X is the limiting factor. 60X is only for those few times when we have great conditions. Many times from 1 to 2 miles I will back off the power to put horns on a bull.

Jeff

I have a Swaro ATS 20~60x80 HD. I often crank it back off the 60x to get a clearer picture. The mirage on 60X is the limiting factor. 60X is only for those few times when we have great conditions. Many times from 1 to 2 miles I will back off the power to put horns on a bull.

Jeff

That Swaro is a great scope. I slobbered over several this past weekend...

I've got the Swaro 20-60x80, and I'll second what Broz said. Best use I've got from the 60x was checking out the full moon, on a clear cold Wyoming night at about 9000'. Midday antelope same trip, and mirage even at 20x got tough. Get a best quality optic, and either is workable.

Im looking for one as well, just not sure on the size of some. Could get a Vortex 20x60x80 but not sure on one that size for actually using to hunt in the field with.

Bu the way where in Wa are u moving too?

For big game hunting I think a good HD 60-65 mm is the best compromise, especially if you're hiking any distance.

In my experience an HD 60 mm scope will have about the same resolution as a non-HD 80 mm scope. The 80 mm scope will always be brighter at the same magnification in low light, though. The HD 60 mm scope will also cost a bit more.

In my experience 60x days are few and far between. In the west the last couple of years the wildfire seasons have been horrible and on days like those 15x is about the only useful power. You can have all the zoom and clarity you want but all you see is a blurry hillside through the smoke. One other thing to consider is if you will be hiking with it or not. 80mm is a big heavy scope.

In my experience 60x days are few and far between. In the west the last couple of years the wildfire seasons have been horrible and on days like those 15x is about the only useful power. You can have all the zoom and clarity you want but all you see is a blurry hillside through the smoke. One other thing to consider is if you will be hiking with it or not. 80mm is a big heavy scope.

This is what I have run into these past few years, and my scope goes from about 12-36 on average i tend not to go above 26, But two days ago I ordered another tripod for it with the micro tilt adjustment on it and it has made a world of differance, my scope fairly cheap compared to todays scopes back in 1997 it cost about $300 and it has done all I asked of it and more, and its still like new, Buying that new tripod has changed everything about it because I can now take the zoom right up to 36 and the view is as clear as anything in the $1000 price bracket and I love the fact that it goes down to 12 power because its great for closer ranges and lets in alot of light seeing as its a 12-36x50 straight scope, perfect for back packing although its about 14"3/8 long I dont even know if its waterproof but it never fogs up so I guess it must be,

If I was in your position I would go with the smaller one because its easier to stash in your kit/back pack or what ever, Just make sure you get one of them mirco tilt tripods for the range because they speed up focusing and dont flex like the cheap one they All come with and you can get one for about 40/45 Dollars and they are better than using a camera type tripod, I cant believe how much differance this Tripod has made to my scope,

I hope this helps and good luck with your choices.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.