Vortex Maxed Out Elevation Problem?

Measure the front and back base height with calipers. Then do the math.

If it were me, I would buy a 30 or 40 MOA base instead of another 20 MOA base.

I am going to take the base off tonight and measure the front and back base height.

Last night just doing a visual comparison, the Warne 20 moa tactical base this scope is mounted on had considerable less taper than the Blackhawk 20 moa base that is on my Remington 700. I know they are different brands but the taper on the Blackhawk base is much more pronounced. It made me wonder if the base on the rifle was mis-packaged?

Measure the front and back base height with calipers. Then do the math.

If it were me, I would buy a 30 or 40 MOA base instead of another 20 MOA base.

I just put the calipers on my base. The rear has a thickness of 0.347" and the front has a thickness of 0.318" for a difference of 0.029". A true 20 moa base that is 6 inches long should be in the neighborhood of a 0.035" difference in thickness front to back from what I have read. It's not a flat base but may be under 20 moa and actually closer to 15 moa. That should still have the elevation not mechanically centered though. May call Vortex and see what they say.

The formula I used was derived from 20 moa = 1/3 degrees. Then I calculated 1/3 degree rise over 6" long rail.

(1/3)x(pi/180)x6 = 0.0349 or approx 0.035".

This was taken from a thread at benchrest.com called "How to calculate machining angle 20 MOA taper".

Using your measurements, I get 16.6 MOA for the base angle.

The barrel is installed crooked in the receiver. Switch to a 30 MOA base.

Bruce, thanks for the info. A 30-40 moa is the plan now. I did a lot of reading on several sites and see this has happened with the Savage 12 LRP on numerous occasions. Some have sent their rifle back to savage and had the barrel swapped out. Being that it's not off by a lot I am leaning away from doing that as this rifle consistently shoots .25-.5 moa with factory ammo and it would be a shame to lose that accuracy.

All things considered equal, my current 20 moa base gives me 9.5 mils up. If my math is correct a 30 moa base should increase that to 12.4 Mils total up adjustment and a 40 moa base would increase that to 15.3 mils total come up. Any recommendations on a good 30 or 40 moa base?

Thanks again.
Joe

Last edited:
Your current base is not actually 20 MOA. If you get a true 30 MOA base, your elevation should increase to 13.4 mils. Is that enough for you?

I would not bottom out the elevation knob at a 100 yd zero if I was planning to shoot a lot at short range. If this is strictly a long range rifle, then fine.

Your current base is not actually 20 MOA. If you get a true 30 MOA base, your elevation should increase to 13.4 mils. Is that enough for you?

I would not bottom out the elevation knob at a 100 yd zero if I was planning to shoot a lot at short range. If this is strictly a long range rifle, then fine.

Bruce, you're right I didn't take into account that I didn't currently have a 20 moa base. 13.4 mils come up is enough as I also am at altitude and that should get me out to 13-1400 yards. I also shoot a lot at shorter ranges too so a 30 moa base should be perfect. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.