Vortex BDC Reticle on 6x24x50...Question on max power

99ls1z

I'm looking at either buying a 4x16x50 or 6x24x50 Vortex HS model with the BDC primary use will be for hunting. Wanting something that I can see good in the 300-500 range. After doing research and reading several forum post my understand is that on the 4x16 model the scope would need to set at 16x power to use the bdc marks. The user manual for the 6x24 model says it needs to be set at 18x power. I would prefer to have the scope power maxed out while shooting. Due to this I'm leaning more towards the 4x16 due to having it maxed out and using the bdc mark. Not sure how I would calculate the 6x24 if I was using power turned up past 18x?

The advantages you'll have with the 4x16 will be a bigger field of view and crisper sight picture.

If you really want to go 24x you can determine the spacing of the hold over points by hanging a tape measure exactly at 100 yards and looking through the scope at 24x and writing down the spacing keep in mind 1 moa is 1.047 not 1 inch when you do your calculations. This will give you a starting point to get out in the field and burn some powder to determine at what distance the hold over marks are on.

I wish that vortex offered a simple moa reticle in that series of scopes versus the predetermined hash marks.

Jordan@406

A scope to consider although I don't know your price range would be the 4x16 hst it has adjustable turrets, an moa reticle, and really nice glass for the price. This would allow you a little more freedom and versatility in your optic.

Jordan@406

I've about narrowed it down to the pst 4x16x50 with mrad reticle. What type of base and rings would you suggest for a 30-06?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.