Question on Zeiss Reticle

JayR

I am debating between the rapid z reticles, the 800, 1000 and varmint. It is going on my 7stw, and realistic ranges of 500-600 yards. I like the idea of the 6.5 x 20, but the z1000 reticle seems way off when I plug the numbers in, i realize it designed for the .308,but it looks like the varmint would work just about right out to 600. Or would the 4.5 x 14 with z800 be a better choice? Any input on either of these would be greatly appreciated!

I personally like the #20 or the #4 reticles. I use #20 on two of my rigs. The only lines or marks I like are MILS, MOAS for distance "guessing" and sizing of my target. I don't like hold over shots unless you know your rifle well and have no other choice. I am still in the learning stage and am a hard headed man with with a very serious impression from a shooter that told me to learn to scope and shoot your rifle "the same way every time you sight that scope". So I have stayed away from overhold articles.That is where the hard head comes in but. I have a lot to learn but am happy with what I do so far in the field. Bill Maylor..

Last edited:
Having used a regular duplex as well as recently the Nikon BDC I looked hard at the Rapid Z reticles from Zeiss. My impression was that they are very "busy" and this was confirmed when I saw one in person. I ended up with target turrets with a duplex reticle so that I can spin my elevation instead of hold over as I just couldn't get to the point of liking the Rapid Z reticles.

Just my impression.

Your best bet would be to play around on the Zeiss Rapid Z ballistic calculator and see which one matches your load(s) best. I would think that the 4.5-14 w/ RapidZ 800 would be the most versatile. That would be my choice (although I did just slap a 6.5-20 w/ Varmint 600 on my LRH 7mm Rem Mag, and it matches the 168gr HSM Berger load out to 600 according to the calculater and a 260yd zero)

John M. was selling a 4.5-14 w/ Z800 and target turrets in the optics classified section for a good price.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/wts-zeiss-4-5x14x50-67218/

You should check it out!

Hope this helps in some way; good luck with whatever you choose.

If you pick the z type reticule, there is a program that will help you match ballistics. I just find the listed drops for reticule and look at baliistic data for load and get the drops that way ffor starting. Then i field verify, put sticker on gun, I also split the marks and note that on my drops.+ use dials if plenty of time.

I use the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 scopes for long range wit the #20 Z-plex, I don't care for the BDC,long rang reticles at all.They are not the accurate way to shoot long range.I can't stand a bunch of extra lines and circles in my view. Just enter all your info on JBM ballistics and turn your turret for accurate shooting.

The answer to your specific question is the RapidZ 800 is the best reticle for your load.
For instance, using the calculator on the Zeiss website, if you are shooting the 160 Accubond at 3150 fps then you will be very close to just shooting long distance at the maximum power of 14 and the lines will be

200 yds zero
294 yd first line down
395 yd second line down
496 yd third line down
600 yd 4th line down
706 yd 5th line down
814 yd 6th line down

I have several types of ballistic reticles and target turrets and really like the RapidZ 800. It has not bothered me with being too busy and once zeroed I don't have to worry about whether the turret moved or where I am. It is also much quicker to use for hunting purposes, if quickness is needed.

RapidZ800May07-2.jpg

Target turrets are more accurate at the longer distances if you have the time, input all your data into your calculator correctly, your turrets have not moved around a full circle and your scope accurately to a fine degree moves the reticle the correct amount everytime when counting clicks (and returns).

The Zeiss is an excellent scope, very clear with excellent contrast. Once zeroed that is it, no screwing around with it and there is a certain degree of comfort that comes with that. That will add confidence and let you concentrate on all the other factors involved in long distance shooting.

YMMV

Thank you all for your input! That is quite an illustration Woods, thank you, quicknessis very important, alot of times it is litterally seconds to decide and shoot. Thank you again, this is a very knowledgable and helpful bunch!

Woods, I am glad I found you here too (besides the campfire). As usual, great pictures explaining things. How visible is the Rapid-Z at dusk?

Last edited:
Thanks

For some reason putting together a good post gives me satisfaction like putting together a good load, it might be wrong but by gawd I did a good job of it or failed trying like hell! I always enjoy pics so hope everyone else does. My photobucket page is getting out of hand though, sometimes I can spend 30 minutes looking for the pic I want.

Your question, the reticle to me strikes just the right balance between being visible till dark but not so thick that it makes it hard to aim at long distance. I have a FFP Diavari that is an excellent scope for low light but the reticle is so thick it makes shooting at longer ranges difficult because it obscures too much of the target IMO.

Last edited:
I am looking hard at a Diavari with the rapid Z-1000 and turrets. Hoping for the best of both worlds. It is a 6-24x56. A Z-800 would work better in the 4-16x50 (comes without target turrets), but I am hung up about getting the target turrets too. With the 1000, I would not use the bars above horizontal (bar 5). Of course my numbered bars would not correspond with that distance (bar 6 would jump to ~390 yards). The yardage spread would be kind of high too.

Your thoughts about this?

My other option is to look at a plex reticle with the target turrets (ASV turrets).

Or, just get the 4-16x50 with rapid Z-800 and hunter turrets. I can then send the scope to Zeiss and have a target turret installed. From what I understand, it should be under $100.00. If I want, I could then get Kenton Industries to install a custom drop knob. This is sounding better all the time, and my cheapest approach.

By the way, this is for a .300 WM that I am setting up for beanfield whitetails. Realistically, I probably won't have shots past 600 yards, but I may want to play with it down the road..

Last edited:
Well if you're getting into that price range then I would not necessarily go with the Zeiss FL you're looking at.

Here is a serious scope with illuminated MP-8 reticle with a zero stop and serious tactical turrets and wider field of view, glass would be close to comparable

6-24x56 35mm SF MIL/MIL Tactical Scope FFP Illuminated MP-8 Dot Mod

however since I like a smaller scope and 18 power is enough for me I might prefer this one, again illuminated MP-8 and a huge field of view

http://www.valdada.com/product/15b1b22b-e093-404d-a86a-030a47546c75.aspx

prices get a little cheaper here

IOR 3.5-18x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope

and even cheaper here

IOR Valdada

It sounds like you want a target turret and a ballistic reticle. Illuminated, zero stop and wide field of view are all good features that are hard to find in one package.

Just some ideas.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.