Vortex 6x24x50 ffp MOA on its way!

vortex is here and is great!

Just got home from the range. Not the best day to sight in ,but thought i would give it a try. 200yd sight in went great, 1inch group , stretched out to 400, ...... I guess a 20 oz cup of Turkey Hill coffee wasn't the best idea. Ballistic program from vortex was right on,, unfortunately i was not! could not get any smaller than 6 inch group. Will have to work on that over the next few weeks. I know there are alot of people out there that think that if you don't have a S&B or something of that caliber that you are wasting your money, but let me tell you , coming from some one that has looked into a lot of scopes in the 800 to1000 range, you cant get a better scope for the money. Easily repeatable zero(w/ CRS) and crisp, clear glass. Will not be buying anything else for some time. gun)

gun) I bought a cheap Barska 4-16 x 50 for my 270wsm. It is what you would expect for $100.00 only worse. I shot my first groups at 300(1st time at that distance) and know with a better scope the groups will shrink(1.487, extreme spread). Will post a reveiw and more pics.as the weeks go on.:D

I must be missing something here. Do you mean your group was 1.487 "inches", extreme spread at 300 yds.? If it is, that is pretty darn good. If your rifle is a factory rifle and you are shooting factory ammo 6 inches at 400 yds. may be the best it will group which isn't to bad for a factory rifle with factory ammo.

I have the same PST that you have and I am telling you this because I don't want you to get discouraged and blame the PST if your groups do not get smaller then with the BSA scope. The reticule in the BSA may be finer than the PST since the BSA is a SFP scope and might be easier to hold in the center of the bulls eye. I have 4 friends that shot at 400 yds. with their factory rifles with me when I tested my custom turret. They all shot about the same 6" groups. They shot a 7mm STW, two 308s and a 30-06. My 6mm Norma BR. shot a 1+3/4" group @ 400 yds. with reloads in a custom rifle. 6 inches at 400 yds. is in the kill zone of a deer at that range. :)

joseph

You are right with everything but the factory ammo. I reload . I use Winchester brass,Nosler 140 gr. ballistic tips, Rl19(61gr),Fed 215mag primers. The gun is a factory Tikka t3. (for now,Brux barrel is in it's future) ,Best group I have shot at 100 is 3/4 inch, gun has shot a .437 at that distance,200 group so far is 1.00, 300 1.487,400 6.0. Yeah , I know not to expect miracles . Best ballistic co-efficient of any 270 bullet that i saw was .498 (Berger VLD), so groups are going to be hard to handle.Not to mention that the nut behind the wheel aint rock solid (little shaky), all I want is to squeeze as much out of this as my body and this rig will let me. This is my first attempt at shooting anything over 100, but when I start something like this I kinda get a little hard headed ,will not quit till I have exhausted all possibilities. So , I know that 6" at 400 may be the best I can get out of the rig and myself, But, I wont know that for at least 3-400 rounds. Thank you very much for you comments. Any thing you think I can do to improve ,let me know. Always could use constructive criticism to keep my self grounded. By the fyI, I am going to use this for whistle pigs and punching paper. All the deer iI have shot Here in Pa have been under 100 and my slug gun(circa 1963 rem.wingmaster w/Hastings barrel ) shoots 1inch groups at 100. gun).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.