VETS of LRH

July 66-69 US Army
67-68 2/502 Inf, 101st ABN DIV RVN

69-72 Army Reserve

1973-`92 AK Army NG

Retired May 1992

Cursed the day I got out of the Guard. Found it was easier to get out then to get back in.

July 66-69 US Army
67-68 2/502 Inf, 101st ABN DIV RVN

69-72 Army Reserve

1973-`92 AK Army NG

Retired May 1992

Cursed the day I got out of the Guard. Found it was easier to get out then to get back in.

well we see that we have another I-Corps person!

welcome home brother
gary

US Army Reserve 1984-1996
Cpt MSC
328th Combat Support Hospital

Deployed to Germany for ODS
December 1990-April 1991

Enlisted out of High School in 1964. Landed in Vung Tao on an LST 5 May 1965 with the 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep), rotated back to the Land of the big PX in December 1967 after a little squabble over Hill 875 in Dak To.

ETS'd after returning to the States and lasted almost a year as a Combat Vet living in San Diego in the 60's. Sold or gave away everything I owned and enlisted again.

Spent a year in the Panama Canal Zone with A Company (Airborne) 3/5th Infantry at Fort Kobbe waiting for my transfer back to Nam to come through. Back to the 173d for a time, then Company C (Airborne) 75th Infantry (Ranger) until we stood down, then to 17th Combat Aviation Group.

Back in the States I spent a lot of time at Ft Bragg with the 82d Airborne (C Company, 2/508), did 3 years as a Drill Sergeant, did a three year tour in Germany with the 2d Armored Division (FWD) 3/41st Infantry.

Back to the States and Ft Lewis, WA where I retired in 1988. Haven't been gainfully employed since.

Yeah, I'm still riding the Dragon's tail. Saw a cartoon in the VA some time back, young psychiatrist asks a Nam Vet "When were you in Viet Nam?" Vet answers back "Last night." Truer words were nnever spoke.

Welcome home, Brothers and Sisters.

SFC U.S. Army (Ret) 63X - Motor Sergeant
1985-2005

From basic training at Ft. Knox and AIT at Ft. Jackson I have spent time all over this great big marble we all live on.

Duty Assignments:
Ft. Sill, OK - HHB 2/18th FA
Bitburg, GE - 606th Ord Co
Ft. Ord, CA - HHC 2nd Bde, 4th ID (Lightfighters)
Ft. Carson, CO - A Co, 704th MSB
Peterson AFB, CO - U.S. Army Space Command (ATMDE-TOC)
Suwon AB, ROK - HHB 1/43rd ADA (Patriot)
Ft. Carson, CO - RHHT 3rd ACR
Ft. Huachuca, AZ - 19th SC, 504th Sig Bn, 11th Sig Bde
And finally.... Ft. Living-Room - Colorado Springs, CO

Spent a total of six months in Suadi/Iraq/Kuwait.

US navy 90-93. Did 3.5 yrs got out because of Clinton the cigar man. Desert shield/ storm. On the USS Tripoli on the fateful morning. Was in HM-14 mine sweepers MCM16 Alpha was my work shop.

USAF Security Police 1976-1982 Stationed in Michigan (Wurtsmith AFB), Alaska (Shemya AFB) and back to Michigan. Had a blast lots of huntin trips still see and hunt with friends in Alaska.

Enlisted out of High School in 1964. Landed in Vung Tao on an LST 5 May 1965 with the 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep), rotated back to the Land of the big PX in December 1967 after a little squabble over Hill 875 in Dak To.

ETS'd after returning to the States and lasted almost a year as a Combat Vet living in San Diego in the 60's. Sold or gave away everything I owned and enlisted again.

Spent a year in the Panama Canal Zone with A Company (Airborne) 3/5th Infantry at Fort Kobbe waiting for my transfer back to Nam to come through. Back to the 173d for a time, then Company C (Airborne) 75th Infantry (Ranger) until we stood down, then to 17th Combat Aviation Group.

Back in the States I spent a lot of time at Ft Bragg with the 82d Airborne (C Company, 2/508), did 3 years as a Drill Sergeant, did a three year tour in Germany with the 2d Armored Division (FWD) 3/41st Infantry.

Back to the States and Ft Lewis, WA where I retired in 1988. Haven't been gainfully employed since.

Yeah, I'm still riding the Dragon's tail. Saw a cartoon in the VA some time back, young psychiatrist asks a Nam Vet "When were you in Viet Nam?" Vet answers back "Last night." Truer words were nnever spoke.

Welcome home, Brothers and Sisters.

Welcome Home Brother

I when I landed at Cam Rhan Bay the December you left, all the talk was about 875 and how they took Dak To in less than a month. Said to myself "hey I can handle this", and they promptly sent me several hundred miles due north. Rude awakening when that plane touched down in Chu Lai.
gary

Gary,

Welcome home, right back at ya, Bro. I went back to Nam in 1970 and landed at CRB. There was a freakin ice cream truck there. I couldn't believe I was back in the Nam. Didn't take long to remember where I was when I got hooked back up with the 173d and then C/75th. I guess when they were telling you about 875 and taking Dak To they forgot to tell you about the casualties, am I right?

USN 25 May 99- 25 May 03 Signalman/quartermaster/bording team member got out as an SM2(SW).

USS Estocin FFG-15, 2 south pacs, 1 unitas and over 300 days at see every year.
USS Ingerham FFG-61, 1 west pack

I do not regret leaving one bit I hated my shelf living lifestyle.

US Army 6 Jun 2003- 18 Dec 2008 Civil Affairs team sergent

Afghanistan 03-04, Iraq 07-08 (surge)

Best dam time I ever had and I miss it every day.

I was there during the surge, too. Lived in Tikrit, but spent a lot of time over Diyala River Valley and Ba'Quba, and Balad to Taji. That was the first go around...working on #3 right now, in the other sandbox.

Gary,

Welcome home, right back at ya, Bro. I went back to Nam in 1970 and landed at CRB. There was a freakin ice cream truck there. I couldn't believe I was back in the Nam. Didn't take long to remember where I was when I got hooked back up with the 173d and then C/75th. I guess when they were telling you about 875 and taking Dak To they forgot to tell you about the casualties, am I right?

Believe it or not, these guys really hadn't any idea who took the place and what it cost to take that piece of ground. Rumor had it, that it was the 101st, and others were saying it was the 1st AirCav
+++++++++++++++
You were probably in that group standing behind the white picket fench yelling "SHORT!" as we walked by. I did the samething 15 months later! When I hit that place I noticed hamberger stands and pizza stands! I thought "this ain't so bad!" I remember the red dust blowing all over the place, and everybody in their clean starched fatigues. But what we really saw was a huge collection of REMF's.

When I landed in that C130 in Chu Lai, there was a foggy haze all over everything, and everybody was in a hurry. Hundreds of F4's and A4's re-arming and refueling from their trip up north. One F4 landed just as soon as they got that C130 out of the way and it was full of holes with no brakes I guess as it had to use the whole runway to land and then hit the cables right behind us. The reception center was a joke, and they promptly threw my stack of orders in a 32 gallon trash can that was almost full. I was supposed to go with an SPG group up by Camp Carroll on an M107. They were taking clerks, infantry men, cooks and other warm bodies and sending them to a 155 arty unit, and I was one of them. Ended up down at Gator with good old Colan Powell (he was either a Major or a Captain). I did Tet there, and as soon as things cooled down we pulled up stakes and never went back except for a one week stent to refit for another operation. From there I went west and never came back to Highway One again.

When I went home I went thru Cam Rhan Bay again, and the place was over twice as large as before! I remember riding in a buss (they had a transit service!), and it made a sudden stop and everybody piled off the buss. I sat there wondering why? Then I got off the buss and walked into this empty PX. Later a guy comes in asked me where I came from, and I said that buss. He said don't you realize we're being rocketed, and I said yeah. But it was probably five klicks away. Said I was nuts! Told him this was an everyday thing back home, and not to worry much. REMF's!!!

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.