Varmint Load - 243 Win w/ 55gr Nosler Varmint Bullets & Hodgdon Varget ?'s

PowellSixO

I'm putting the 243 on coyote duty from now on :D. Since I'm doing this, I'm looking to make a fast and flat load. This will be for coyotes and other varmints only, and will never be shot over 500 yards. I'm liking the ballistics with the 55gr Nosler Varmint Bullets, and have bought a box of 250 to try out. I've also picked up some Varget, in hopes of getting close to the 4000 fps mark. I realize this is probably going to be a barrel burner, but that's ok with me. My question is:

How do these little buggers like to be seated? They are very short, and getting them anywhere near the lands is not going to happen. I've read that they like to be seated well into the case. I've heard that I'll lose fps if not seated deep enough.

So where should I start, and what other pointers can you guys give me about this load?

I have the Varget already, but I do not have the bullets in hand yet (just ordered them). I know some might say to try other powders, but this is what I have, and what I can get my hands on when I need more. So this is what I'm trying to make work. If it just doesn't do it, then I'll try something else. Thanks guys for taking the time to read this. I always appreciate the info.

My brother uses 55 and varget. max load in nosler manual. awesome. deadly on az coyotes.

I shoot a lot of Nosler bullets in a variety of calibers and I've always found their stated "most accurate" powder and load to be the best combination.

I got 4050 fps with a 24" Rem 243 and varget with good accuracy. Very flat can be useful. Sighted in 1/2" high at 100 see a coyote out to 325 yds just shoot. That bullet will turn a rock rat into hash.

I tried this same bullet in a 24" 6mm-284 and got it to go 4175 fps with no blowups and still good accuracy.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. Yeah I'm looking forward to getting my bullets in the mail. It looks like they won't be here until the 5th. With a few different ballistic programs, I've typed this potential load in to calculate my drops and it looks very promising. With a 200 yard zero, I should be able to just put it on a dog from 100 to 350 yards without any elevation adjustments. And at 500 yards, I'll only be looking at 4.5 moa, and 6.97 moa at 600 yards. That's pretty dang flat gun). After 600 yards it drops like a turd from a tall cow, but I'm not worried about dogs past that distance :D. I'm looking forward to getting it all setup.

I just started load development for a Rem. ADL using the 55gr BTs, but with I 4064. I used the COAL listed in the Nosler book of 2.710. sounds like we share the same problem of a loooong throat. Loads of 45.0, 44.5 and 44grs. all shot just under an inch. The next range trip I will load these again but add a 43.5, and five rounds each instead of three, and also shoot through a chrono. also these were shoot using CCI 250 primer's, the max load of 45.5 showed signs of over pressure (cratered primers)
E

Thanks for the info. Keep me updated on how it goes. One thing I noticed though about your load, is that the 2.710" oacl is the samii spec. Nosler lists their tested loads at 2.610" oacl. From what I've been able to gather, these little buggers like to be seated somewhat deep into the case. For whatever reason the jump doesn't affect them too much. I have no proof of this of course, just what I've read. I have the powder, brass, and the primers already. The bullet's should be here on the 5th. I'll posting my findings. Again, thanks for the info so far guys. Keep it coming.

I just started load development for a Rem. ADL using the 55gr BTs, but with I 4064. I used the COAL listed in the Nosler book of 2.710. sounds like we share the same problem of a loooong throat. Loads of 45.0, 44.5 and 44grs. all shot just under an inch. The next range trip I will load these again but add a 43.5, and five rounds each instead of three, and also shoot through a chrono. also these were shoot using CCI 250 primer's, the max load of 45.5 showed signs of over pressure (cratered primers)
E

Thanks for the info. Keep me updated on how it goes. One thing I noticed though about your load, is that the 2.710" oacl is the samii spec. Nosler lists their tested loads at 2.610" oacl. From what I've been able to gather, these little buggers like to be seated somewhat deep into the case. For whatever reason the jump doesn't affect them too much. I have no proof of this of course, just what I've read. I have the powder, brass, and the primers already. The bullet's should be here on the 5th. I'll posting my findings. Again, thanks for the info so far guys. Keep it coming.

My bad, 2.610 was the seating depth..... that's the CRS kicking in. have heard somewhere that flat based bullets are better for rifles with long throats.... ?

Quick update guys. I got some loads made up, and I'm very happy to say the least.:D I started out loading 20 rounds, just to go out and find my max load. I ended up finding my max load was about 1 grain over Noslers listed max of 45.5 grains of Varget. To play it safe though, I went back to the house and loaded up 10 rounds at 45.5 grains. I took these to the range to play real quick (I only had an hour before the sun went down). To my surprise I was getting an average speed of 3825 fps. To my surprise as well, my zero at 100 yards was right on the money (no changes made over my old load with the 87 gr bergers). I put 2 in the bull at 100, and decided to start going back in distance (since I didn't have a lot of ammo to play with). According to my ballistic program, I would have 7.63 moa drop at 600 yards, 5.02 moa drop at 500, 2.88 moa drop at 400, 1.16 moa drop at 300, and -.11 drop at 200 yards. This is all being zeroed at 100 yards. That's pretty dang flat. So I began to test/play. At 300 yards we have a coyote silhouette. I had my buddy put the spotting scope on it and watch for the spot of impact. gun)DING:). Perfect shot. I then moved back to 400 yards where we have an 8" gong hanging. I dialed my scope for the suggested elevation. gun)DING:D. Another dead center hit. Now at 500 yards we have a small ram silhouette, about the size of a coyote. I dialed my scope for the suggested elevation. gun)DING:D. At this point I'm thinking WOW. Now at 600 yards our range has another coyote silhouette. This is the longest target we have at our range, and as long as I plan on shooting at a coyote anyways. I took aim at this target, and dialed for the suggested elevation once again. gun)MISS:rolleyes:. Lol. My friend said that I hit low. I felt like it was my fault, and decided to do a redo. Lol. So I sent one more. gun)DING:D!!! Now with only 3 bullets left I dialed back down and hit 500, 400, and 300 again all with the same results. I'm very happy with how the little play/test session went. I obviously have more testing to do, but I've got a great start.

100 yard target

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.