Varget in 223 Rem loads?

BoomFlop

So in the past I've used Benchmark for all my 223 Rem loads. I haven't seen Benchmark in a few years. But I currently have 14 lbs of Varget as I load for 7mm-08's and 308's.

Looking to see how it works in 223 Rem? Primary rifle is a Rem LTR with 20" 9 twist. Primary use is coyotes, but do have a prairie dog, so was thinking 40-60 grain v max? Probably load inLapua brass with CCI 400's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It certainly can be used. Just went to Hodgdons reloading data online. 55 gr. Bullets can get to 3300 fps, but you might try Hornady data to confirm load. I use it successfully in 22-250 with 55 gr Sierra Spitzer point and hollow point and run them to 3700 on Spitzer and 3600 on hollow point. Good choice for powder in your 223 I would say.

I load tons of different 223 rounds with Varget.

In the world of competitive shooting, Varget is considered one of the absolute best powders for 223 cases.

Granted, most are loading heavier bullets - say 60~77 grain - but achieving world class results.

There are literally thousands of high-end shooters that rely on that single Powder as their go-to 223 fuel.

You should do well with Varget in that cartridge with heavy enough pills.

@badthirtyone
What weights bullets do I have to stay above? I see data down to 40 grain. Was thinking say a 50 grain V max or even a 40 gr? Might end up with 60 grain v max for coyotes.

I've found Varget and Benchmark to yield similar results for accuracy. I actually have a canister of Benchmark in my cabinet if you're near PA. I decided long ago just to go with Varget since at the time the price difference was about $5 cheaper than Benchmark and I was going through A LOT of Varget powder.

Start about 21.5 grains and work up. I use 24 grains with 50 gr & 55 gr V-max and with 55 gr SP, all produce sub-inch groups with CCI 400s.

I'll add a note on my experiences with the 60 gr V-max, I found it acceptable with Varget, but groups opened up compared to 55s. Would be good to 250 yards, maybe 300 on coyote-sized targets, but I wouldn't push it any further. Your gun may shoot differently though. I was shooting these from my Mossberg MVP Varmint which has a 5.56 chamber and 1:9 twist.

@badthirtyone
What weights bullets do I have to stay above? I see data down to 40 grain. Was thinking say a 50 grain V max or even a 40 gr? Might end up with 60 grain v max for coyotes.
It looks like you are getting a great response to your initial inquiry! I figured that would happen. Lots of shooters with lots of experience running Varget in 223's.

To your question above, I do not think that there is a low end on bullet weight that becomes inappropriate for Varget, it is simply that I and most of the shooters that I know tend toward the heavier end of the spectrum with 223 loadings with this powder.

I have at least heard tell that guys run the 50~55 grainers with equal - stupid accurate & consistent - results. I cannot speak to the 40's, but would imagine that they will certainly come out of your gun safely and consistently.

Hope this helps!

53 grain V-Max is gonna be your best bet for bullet choice I think. Highest BC I've seen in a .224 bullet, .290 I think. Or try the 52 grain A-Max which is a close second.