.223 rem loads

I've never tried Federal's in my .223. But, CCI 400 and BR4 work pretty good with 50gr. and 55gr.

I also use CCI benchrest primers and some of their others too. But most of the time it's federal. Not saying it's the last word, cause I have not tried everything out there for sure. Most of the odd lots of primers I have were bought to see if a primer change would make a difference in my groups. I was given a few hundred Remington benchrest primers to try once and really liked them, but that lot was no longer on the planet.

My next great .223 experiment will be with cases. I've always used Winchester and Remingtons with a few hundred Hornadays thrown in there. I have a big bag full of Lapua match cases laying around that will be used with a few other odd ball ones. Then I have a set of forming dies and reamers to do an improved .223 that I've been working on for too long. It uses a .204 Ruger case necked up to .223, but with the shoulder length set at 1.47" with a 30 degree angle. Neck length will be about .300" at .246" diameter. Taper is set at .010" per inch. I'd rather do this one off of .222mag cases, but they're hard to come buy. The reamer will ream the neck to about .325" long. I went with a .125" radius at the neck to shoulder, and .156" on the O.D. of the shoulder. Why those numbers, I can't say, but they seemed like what most everybody else was doing. Want to set the round up in a 1:8 twist barrel that will be about 23.5" long with a 1.00" strait contour, or a standard #7. I don't think it will have enough power to push anything bigger than an 80 grain bullet well, but think a 75 grain bullet will work fine out to 475 yards. I'm wanting a 500 yard prone dog gun that will have enough power to drop a 35lb. dog in it's tracks at 400 yards everytime. Anything longer, and I'll use my 6/250AI
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.