Used Sierra H.P.B.T. Gameking ??

ppro

I have shot a lot of the Sierra H.P.B.T. Gameking bullets but not hunted with them. Sierra says they are much tougher than their regular Gameking line.....but....

Have any of you whacked any game with this bullet. It's pretty accurate in the rifles I have shot them in, but that's about all I know about them. Will be using the 140 gr. in one of my 270 Winchesters at 2900 fps.

thanks

Paul

ppro,

If you are referring to the "Matchking" bullets, there is a S%*# load of info. here. Just do a search for "Matchking" and I'm sure what ever it is you are looking for, you will find.

Murf

Have used the 6mm 85 gr HPBT on both varmints, deer & antelope. Sierra tells that the bullet was originally designed for deer, etc. Works very well. Not sure about other calibers. Ask Sierra.

I have shot more than a dozen whitetails with the Sierra .308 165 HPBT's from a .308 Winchester. I haven't lost a deer, or had one go very far. I have never recovered a bullet since they invariably go through, leaving a substantial exit wound. Personally I prefer a stouter bullet for elk, but in fairness, I have never given these a try for anything bigger than whitetail.

DC

I have used the .308 180grain SGK (Game King) MV 2775 on elk, whitetail, and hogs with good success. Shortest shot was 25-30 yards and the longest one was 400+ yards.
On steel I would group in 2" range for 3 shots @ 400 yards.

I use the 165 gr SGKHP in my .30-06. They shoot fantastic! I have shot coyotes and deer with them. The bullet disembowled the yote. All of the deer I have shot were bang/flops. I have been thoroughly impressed with their game and target performance.

I loaded them up in my 300 WM to use for hunting, but I have not had the opportunity to shoot anything with them. I plan on going hog hunting some more in the near future. I could use them instead of Bergers or SMKs I guess to see how they work. I am getting 3220 fps with them and 1/2 MOA groups to 300 yards in my tests. Best of luck!

If they don't shoot accurate in your 30 cal "anything" you have a real problem gun on your hands.

It was the Sierra H.P.B.T. Gameking not the match....
I agree, nothing I have shot these bullets in didn't shoot them (in 30 cal.,) extremely well....which is part of the reason I wanted to finally hunt with them.

This would be for the 270 Winchester though and I have seen precious little, (nothing on the 140 gr.) from the 270 with this bullet.

Since (I am guessing) that Sierra designed this bullet primarly for the 270 Winchester for 2900 to 3000 fps., that it should do pretty well up close and out to say 300 at least.

Was intending to try the bullet for Black bear fairly soon so I was wondering if anyone had tried / used them. Not that I think they won't work, rather, how well they have worked in the 270. I doubt there should be any real failures, but I wondered about penetration, and bones...etc.,

Anyway, thanks guys for all the input.

regards

Paul Prochko

Hello Paul,

Ive used this bullet extensively in many caliber especially the 165 gr. .308 and the 140 gr. .270 cal bullets and they have performed awesome FOR ME I cant say what others experience was but mine has been fantastic. Most all have been bang-flops or very close to it this includes animals taken in Africa,Australia,New Zealand and Hawaii.

Hope this helps and Goodluck on your next hunt and dont forget to post the results! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wildcat338

Thank you ! thats very helpful.

What size class and animals did you use the 140gr. 270 for...
If youv'e been hunting a lot for awhile, I realize you may not exactly remember, but if you do, I would appreciate hearing about.

thanks again

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have used them exstensivly when I was using a 30-06 as my prime rifle with good results.Also I have loaded the hp game ging for a friend for a 7MM Whby which he has killed several bull elk.I used the regular soft point game king in my 300Win Mag for a bull elk at 90yds in the timber,killed the animal but the bullet really came apart and no exit wound. Now using accubound or sirocco's in the big guns.

Old bear

Interesting.....Through the posts and with yours, it is sounding like the the H.P.B.T. Sierra Game King just might be a pretty tough bullet and I was surprised that it was holding up to the 7 Whby. I suppose then that I should not be to worried about using it (140gr. 270 winchester loading) for black bear and that it should hold together probably better than most conventional bullets, even with a shoulder shot with velocities not running over 2900 fps at the muzzle.

Thank you

Paul

Hey Paul

for the 270 w/ 140 SGK mostly used on deer,boar,sheep and goats. I guess the closest animal to compare to a black bear would be boar. I have shot 300+ pound boar with this gun/bullet combo and had great results. But its your call as I have never taken a black bear but I would not hesitate to use it on one if I had the chance.

Per your PM ?, I have only recovered a few from some of the big boars and they were nice mushrooms but the vitals were really messed up. One boar I shot broke the on side shoulder and found bullet under skin in the far side shoulder pad. Again hope this helps...ALOHA!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.