250 gr. Sierra GameKing

Magnumitis

Here's the deal... I have been working up a load for my 338 RUM with the 250 gr. NAB and have been getting good results with H-1000. The only bad part is, (1 they're a bit pricey and (2 I can't find them anywhere! Elk season is approaching very quickly and I need to get my act together. I'd like to stick with 250 grains, so the GK has caught my attention, but I have a few questions before I go that route:

-How is the on game performance? (Looking for something with high weight retention)

-Should I be concerned with a slightly lower BC? (As advertised, GK is .565 and AB is .575)

-Will they fly as true as other bullets with hollow points and plastic tips? (1,000+ yard shots will be common whether it be big game or steel)

-Will they deform in the magazine?

I think they will flatten slightly in your magazine but not too big of a deal.. the difference in BC is negligible. and should be very accurate. I dont know about killing ability, but I bet they work well.

IIRC (& please don't quote me on this!), the 250 GameKing had been the go to .338 Long range bullet for a long time as it was the only high BC projectile that was game proven & readily available. The newer versions out there are starting to displace the GK as it is "old school" & not as shiny! :D Non-bonded, no polymer tip.... but as a long range bullet, I think you will do quite well with it, I wouldn't want to punch a moose or griz @ 75yds as I don't remember it being designed to put up with RUM velocities. It could definitely deform in your mag, one of the MAJOR down sides to the exposed lead nose... might go single shooter with this one.

I'm no expert on the GK, just things I remember (or think I do) reading/hearing about it.

I did some reading on it last night and you are right it was not designed for the RUM velocities it was designed to be a super heavy duty 338 win mag bullet. I am sure people were wildcating it at 2900+ velocities though. I would like to read about that and see how it worked... I guess me and Tom are gonna have to play with it and see what it does.

I have shot it since it came out in the 70's. It was the highest bc hunting bullet made for nearly twenty years by major manufacturers. It was still one of the best choices as late as 1998 when I designed the 338-300 RUM and many guys shot this bullet out of it. To my knowledge the first elk ever taken with the 338-300 RUM was killed with this bullet. It was designed with a stronger antimony lead core and a heavier jacket than most game king bullets. It will take down elk with no problem. I have shot it long range since the 70's in cartridges from the 340 wby to the 338-378 wby velocities with good success. I would not hesitate to load one up and go elk hunting right now.

Thanks for the info everyone. I ordered a couple boxes through Graf & Sons. They'll be here tomorrow afternoon so we'll see what happens.

Can I use the same powder and charge as I did with the 250 AB or should I back down a little and start there?

I use 250 gr SGK in my 375 H&H. It is accurate at 100 meter's through a 21 " barrell - under 1" 5 shot group at about 2900 FPS. Comfortable on the shoulder from the bench.

I have killed 5 Cape Eland bulls with 5 consecutive shots - broadside shoulder shots , raking forward from rib cage into chest from 150 meters out to 300 meters. I have made ranged shots on mountain zebra beyond 300 meters in Namibia with good penetration.

I was looking for a load suited to my rifle that I could use as backup on leopard as well as capable of long range accuracy to cull with or shoot bait for leopard.

This bullet I tested in the field and found it more than adequate in accuracy , killing / penetration , and very capable on long range shots. I would recommend it on all soft skinned African Game.

There is a remarkable reduction of recoil for those who dont like it. I am very pleased with this bullets performance and will continue to use it with confidence.

For Cape Buffalo I would prefer to use Swift A Frame 300 grainers as a soft point choice.

I've been using 220 SGK in my 8mm rem mag for elk. It crushes them, every elk I've taken since I started using them has been one shot and they feel it. My 220's are running about 2950 fps, so I would guess the expansion to be similar to the 250's in the 338 at similar velocities though, huh? Should carry nicely as well.

The 250gr SBT one of favorite bullets, I use this in my 338 RUM with IMR 7828 @ 91.0 for just over 3000 FPS.......in the REM 700.

The Sierra 250gr GK sure is a sweet bullet.

I use 117 grain SGK in my 25-06 for elk, and haven't had any issues out to 300 yards. I tried them in my Savage 111 in 338 Lapua, and that was a no go. The 250 grain 338 SGK were causing extreme chamber pressures. I could not figure out what was going on until I read an article on Berger's web site talking about nose slump. I tried the 250 grain SMK's with the same load, and didn't have any problems. I am wondering how some guys are using them in something the size of the 338/378 with no problems?

I use 117 grain SGK in my 25-06 for elk, and haven't had any issues out to 300 yards. I tried them in my Savage 111 in 338 Lapua, and that was a no go. The 250 grain 338 SGK were causing extreme chamber pressures. I could not figure out what was going on until I read an article on Berger's web site talking about nose slump. I tried the 250 grain SMK's with the same load, and didn't have any problems. I am wondering how some guys are using them in something the size of the 338/378 with no problems?

The Savage 111 in Lapua is known to have a tight chamber. My Lapua (AR-30) I use the 300gr Berger Hunting VLD.........but in my RUM it has a long throat no problems with the 250gr SBT loaded to book spec.

The Savage 111 in Lapua is known to have a tight chamber. My Lapua (AR-30) I use the 300gr Berger Hunting VLD.........but in my RUM it has a long throat no problems with the 250gr SBT loaded to book spec.

Yes, but my rifle shoots fine with 250 SMK and 300 Bergers. I had to use a cleaning rod to drive the brass out of my chamber when shooting the 250 SGK's.

Yes, but my rifle shoots fine with 250 SMK and 300 Bergers. I had to use a cleaning rod to drive the brass out of my chamber when shooting the 250 SGK's.

I had problems with Hornady Brass but switched to Lapua brass and had no problem since in the Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.