lapua & 250 sierra gameking ?

den

anybody use 250 gr sierra gamekings in lapua for hunting ? are they tough enough for elk at 3000fps ? thanks

The most common and accurate load for the Lapua is H100 and a 250 Sierra. Let me tell you if a 250gr chunk of lead at 3000fps hits a elk WITH GOOD SHOT PLACEMENT its gonna die. No if ands or buts about it. We as long range people tend to put to much faith in the best latest magical kill them fast bullets and technology. I can assure you more game has died with a Sierra than the new super fancy wing ding bullet EVERYONE touts on here. Lets all agree its about shot placement!:rolleyes:

.....If you look in my gun closet (not in the safe but on the shelf), you'll see only pismuckle green boxes of Sierra pills, well, thats a white lie, you'll also see some red (Hornady boxes of 223-55 grain VMax's.

250 Sierra's are my go to in 338 Lapua (same propellant or Varget), but H1000 is as good IMO. GK or MK, depending on the scenario.

165 Sierra's for my 308 Savage in GK's or MK's depending.

My only issue with Sierra's is the meplat. It's touchy. You have to be careful when seating and you can't bang them around in your pocket or an ammo box. I actually custom machined a seater arbor to fit my Gold Medal Seat die so I don't bugger the meplat.

It's certainly all about shot placement. A **** poor shot with a high tech pill is a **** poor shot nonetheless. A lousy shot about guarantees a trip over hill and dale (read mountains and valleys) chasing a leaking animal..... Not fun.

I guess we could all go hunting with Barrett 50's but then who wants to carry one???

thanks for info guys I bought a bunch of 250 mk cpl years back when I got the fcp hs because they were reasonable and high b.c. also got 300 mk . during barrel break in with 300 mk forgot to bump up scale shot same exact vel 2774 shot 3 more three were same one four fps faster decided to stick with that think its 87 rl 25 but anyway hunted with that load but never took a shot after some reading and no experience with elk started being concerned about using match bullets on game even though I cant believe that big bullet wouldn't be devastating just dont want to screw up looking for high b.c with bullet the manufacture suggests not to use them on game someday I might get some 300 accubonds if I still feel I need cant find any though

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.