Ups and downs

Tnwhip

Our muzzle loading season was open the last two weeks and I shot a nice buck. The next day I had two coyote's cross 75 yards out from me. I shot one and the other ran off. The next day I saw a coyote chasing a doe across my field at 400 yards. The next day I had one come across the field at 200 yds and went into the thicket 20 minutes before dark. I had the deer carcass staked down 100 yards from me. The Yote never came out of the thicket. I guess he waited till dark. I didn't try to call him. Now Muzzleloading is over I have my new Ruger Precision Rifle in 243 and I need to try it out on a yote. This morning at 350 I saw two coyote's at the edge of the field. I was getting set up for the shot and I was 3 seconds too slow. They started moving right before I pulled the trigger. They went in a thicket and I got the call out and tried to call them but no luck. I don't know why but I never saw them again. They might have smelt me but I don't know. Anyway they have eaten the carcass up and this evening I put the deer liver and heart in a 5 gal bucket with holes in the top and screwed the top down so nothing can get to it.I never tried this before but I think it will work great. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Keep us posted on how it turns out. In Texas if they are moving or you think they are about to, a bark will stop or hold them long enough to get the shot.

Keep us posted on how it turns out. In Texas if they are moving or you think they are about to, a bark will stop or hold them long enough to get the shot.
Yea I have done that before but he was 350 yds away I can't yell that loud any more :) I usually have a diaphragm howler call in my mouth but didn't at that time. They will be back I am sure.

Well i haven't seen any yotes yet but that white plastic bucket has brought deer in everyday. If they see it they walk over to see what it is. Doe's and bucks. The wind has always been blowing from the direction the deer are coming from. I know they can't smell it. That white bucket in the open field is the best deer attractant I have ever seen. Now if a coyote would come out in the field in the daylight or a monster buck I will be a happy camper.

i can't say if the bucket works on coyote's but it sure works on deer. I have had 14 deer come up to it. Had a friend put one out with nothing in it and he had a doe come up to his yesterday. I put some deer scraps and legs out the other day and had a coyote come to them I shot him at 300 yds. with the 243 RPR.

Attachments

• 20140722_195927.jpg
    20140722_195927.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 67
Re: IT WILL PUT YOUR EYE OUT

The same place I shot the other yote. at 300 yds. He was nawing on a deer leg and had his head down. I was squeezing the trigger when he raised his head. The 105 A max went through his left eye, through his neck into his body and never exit. Clean no holes in the hide. Have I said I like the Ruger RPR. Well I do.,but it is heavy. and with the pistol grip and the adjustable stock is a lot of trouble to carry, the stock catches on every vine. I may change the stock this summer.

What about a drag bag or eberlestock packs. Seems foolish to take the best feature of the rifle and scrap it for not exactly. Another option might be the outlaw sling at no off season. By having the pack style sling the rifle may be easier to transport. The single attachment mout style is another that may solve the carry issue. I know it's awesome on the ar for hand on the pistol grip carry. To the point I'm considering a thumbhole stock for my 760 just to use that sling after using one.

I have a drag bag and used single point and regular sling . I never have to walk very far anyway.This rifle was not made for going through honey suckle thickets with green briar vines. I knew that when I first saw one. I like it but under stand it is what it is.

I have a drag bag and used single point and regular sling . I never have to walk very far anyway.This rifle was not made for going through honey suckle thickets with green briar vines. I knew that when I first saw one. I like it but under stand it is what it is.

Heya Whip...

One suggestion on the RPR... I have it in 308 but their build is exactly the same when it comes to the buttstock. Fold the stock and you will find a spot there for a QD sling attachment. Carry it with the buttstock against your side/back and it will dramatically reduce your snagging on vines etc. With the QD.. it's easy to release it when you want to setup, and then just fold the stock back. Simple as basic math... that is.. unless you take into account common core! :D

Why didn't I think of that. I am in my blind now I will fold it and try carrying when I head back. That should work. Now if I could get it to loose 2 or3 lbs. LoL:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.