Updated Factory Short Magnums/Ultramags

Preferred magnum/ultramag bottle neck cartridge Hunting Rifle setup

• Total voters
The 6.5 PRC is actually based on the 338 RCM case (the 300 RCM is a touch longer). The 6.5 PRC, like the 6.8 Western, has a max COAL of 2.955" and is already too long for true short actions.
The selling point of the RCM series was "magnum performance from 20" barrels" and it didn't sell. The catch was that the Hornady ammo used proprietary propellants, so handloaders at the time couldn't match the velocities. It was effectively a Superformance load. Hornady recently had a podcast on the RCM cartridges that had a lot of interesting info.
To fit in a true short action ( 2.81"), a .30 cal running a long-ogived bullet would need a shorter case and be closer to 30-06 performance. It would be much like the Olympic Arms 300 OSSM (based on the 25 WSSM case), but with a fast twist barrel.

Someone else mentioned that the closest thing with readily available ammo is the 300 WSM running a heavy bullet. Heavy bullets tend to get more out of shorter barrels.
But if you stuff a 215 Hyb into a 300WSM case to fit in a standard SA length mag, the ogive/bearing surface junction is literally down inside the neck. You have a gap around the case mouth and bullet jacket. Plus, there is so much bullet stuffed into the case, you get compressed loads before you ever hit pressure, so velocities are really hobbled.
My buddy brought me a Tikka in 300WSM to check out. I was SOOO happy it was in a "long action", so I started a 200.20x seated at the lands. Then I pulled the magazine out...and it has a freaking spacer in the back! So to get the 200 20x to fit in the mag, the ogive is in the case neck! ***?

I built an AR 15 with a custom 22" 30-25 WSSM barrel, before the 300 OSSM came out. Barrel and bolt by D-Tech in Minnesota IIRC. Though I could use modified AR mags, the only heavier bullets I could use were short Speer Hot-Cor 180 grainers and the short 180 grain Partition Protected Points. The 165 SGKHPs worked well. I was getting 30-06 velocities though. Up to 3000 fps for 150 grainers, 2650 to 2700 fps for the 180s. Kind of a silly looking cartridge, especially back in 2010.

i like this little 8 twist 20 inch short action 65PRC from bergara. Would be a pretty good option with the 156 bergers if they start loading those but its $2k

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 3.37.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 3.37.52 PM.png

Last edited:
Berger sells 156gr factory loads.
Last ones I saw where at Midway.
I talked a friend into using them rather than me developing his loads to shoot 3 times a season. At 250 and less.
Save the brass!

might be worth blowin out some ears for the nearly 80% recoil reduction browning claims. Should feel something like a 708 I would think...

No one likes the only correct answer to this... because it requires a completely new system.

Some of us have/are doing work to this end... but cooperation from the industry is virtually non-existent.

Can't say I blame them, considering the sheer number of people that think belted magnums are (and always will be) the best thing in the world.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

can you preach on this for a minute? When you say new system, you mean slightly different specs for the 7mm/300wsm twist, action length and chamber??

Majority of what I'm doing this day and age, trending short barrels. 20" 65 Saum, 18" 6mm creed, 22" 22gt, 21" 300 norma Imp. I start with an action that will run the cartridge of choice with heaviest desired bullets seated well ahead of neck shoulder junction. Next I pick a barrel length of convenient length, especially with a 7" TBAC can attached, that's generally been 20-22". As long I can get 2900+ fps with heavy for cal bullets, I'm good! They'll perform and BC will keep me in killing velocity out to 800y. I shoot a lot, and I know my wind reading ability is what keeps my ego in check these days. I personally have kind of kept my shooting distance on game under 700y, unless it's dead calm, or fully open terrain and I have my kestrel and wind is relatively straight forward. My learning lesson on this was a drill I did a few years back. I put a 12" round plate at 900y in a pasture on my family farm, the contour wasn't a lot, somewhat of a lingering twisting draw in the prairie. Shot was south, and in NE Montana the wind BLOWS. There would be an occasional morning that it was a 4-7mph, avg was 10-16, sometimes it was 23-30mph, 90% of the time the wind is 80-100% full value from R to L, wind speed and vector is always varying. In a months time, I took roughly 50 shots at the plate, always a morning round, sometimes an afternoon round. I gave myself 60 seconds to get out that included building a shooting position and make a wind call. Somewhat similar to a hunting situation. My connection rate initially in the first 2 weeks was about 55%, the last two weeks it went up to 68%. I repeated this drill moving the target into 680y, now plate is closer to 2moa. My hit rate was 92% averaging the 4 weeks together. If I cannot be within a 90% certainty my bullets gonna make it inside the vitals at my shooting distance, I should NOT be taking the shot. Guess what, out to 700y dang near every cartridge with 55+ gr case capacity whether it's from a 20" or 28" barrel, is going to perform ethically within your ethical shooting zone. Everyone squabbles about bullets and barrel length and powder this and that. Own your ability, drop the ego, and the vast majority of us will realize a 6 creed does everything we need for medium game, and a medium capacity 7 or 30 does it all for elk, anything bigger is juts excess.