Factory Rem 700- short chamber ?

this is a good one. I have read this three times fired and sized brass chambers no problem but new norma wont chamber? have you checked neck thickness norma brass is thicker I have to change bushings or turn necks. do you have a concentricity gauge to check run out a body die wont fix that. your brass might be a banana

New Norma & Hornady cams like hell. Yes I checked necks for length & thickness. No problem there. The fired necks expanded 0.005 also. Again, there was NO CHANGE in headspace from unfired to fired factory brass. I only have a Hornady comparator for loaded ammo & a lock n load headspace gauge. I plan to get a concentricity gauge to check for brass runout soon. Bananas on two different lots of brass from two different manufacturers is doubtful I think...

Went ahead & made an appt. with Aaron Roberts at Roberts Precision. He specializes in Remington 700's & competition Rifles. He built a 25-06 for me that is scary accurate. Probably have it accurized depending on his findings. I'll post back with the results in a couple weeks. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Rifle wouldn't close on a field gauge, started to close on no-go but wouldn't & closed fine on go gauge. Guess it's within "spec"....bore looked fine in scope.
I'm going to true up the rear lugs on the bolt & glass/pillar bed it.

Rifle wouldn't close on a field gauge, started to close on no-go but wouldn't & closed fine on go gauge. Guess it's within "spec"....bore looked fine in scope.
I'm going to true up the rear lugs on the bolt & glass/pillar bed it.
If no other marks are found, especially around the web area on a sized fired case, then I would expect that the chamber is shorter than your FL die.
There are several methods to accomplish the same result.
This is the easiest method I know.
Take feeler gauge set, adjust the die so that it cams over as you normally do, wind the expander up so that the pin is not exposed below the die mouth.
Place a .003" gauge between case head and shell holder BOTTOM, size a case, clean, chamber with firing pin removed, if tight, go to .005", then if still tight continue in .001" increments until a case easily chambers.
Now, buy another shell holder, they're cheap, take it somewhere and have the amount it took to size a case to chamber off the TOP of it. I generally turn .010" off mine and adjust the die to suit.

I have 5 rifles that require these doctored shell holders.

Cheers.
gun)

Had builder look at rifle....headspace is fine. He said to just let the bolt cam headspace the tight new brass & fire form it. Never be an issue after that (which I've confirmed). I'm having the rifle re-crowned, action trued while the barrel is off, & pillar/glass bed. It has one of the older 700 triggers in stainless so I'm going to let him tweak it for now. I'll replace with a Jewell if not satisfied.

Really appreciate the helpful responses...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.