deep or short chamber??

Muttt

I'm going to rebarrel my 7mm Rem Mag and I'm not sure how deep or short to tell them to make the chamber?? I reload so I do understand the difference in jump and jamming it into the lands. But, I'm not really sure what I should set it at. Since my barrel is basically shot out, I haven't been able to nail down a good AOL. What do you guys suggest here??

Make some dummy rounds that fit your mag with some room to chase the lands as you shoot. Your smith should be able to chamber it correctly.

What action are you building off?

The chamber will be cut for proper headspacing and is measured with go and no go gauges. I think what you're asking has more to do with the throat (which I guess is technically still part of the chamber). I would decide what bullet weight/weights you want to shoot and then do what Sask_Hunter suggested and have it throated so that as you wear your barrel out you'll still be able to seat your bullets out close to the rifling.

When in doubt, you could always just have the rifle chambered for a standard throat.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.